AndyGator Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtrux

Reaction score
Found a recipe for one of my favorite brews. But the recipe calls for boiling in 2 gallons water and top up with 3 gallons cold water. It also has you pitch at 75f and chill to 52 for fermentation. This goes against most of what I’ve read so far. I’ve always thought it was best to do full boils and to pitch at fermentation temperature. If attempting this recipe would you follow it to a T or follow basic procedures like pitching at fermentation temp and doing full boils adding the majority of malt extract towards the end. This would be my first lager brew. I’ve done dozens of ale brews but never a lager
IMG_0138.JPG

Found a recipe for one of my favorite brews. But the recipe calls for boiling in 2 gallons water and top up with 3 gallons cold water. It also has you pitch at 75f and chill to 52 for fermentation. This goes against most of what I’ve read so far. I’ve always thought it was best to do full boils and to pitch at fermentation temperature. If attempting this recipe would you follow it to a T or follow basic procedures like pitching at fermentation temp and doing full boils adding the majority of malt extract towards the end. This would be my first lager brew. I’ve done dozens of ale brews but never a lager View attachment 614923
I have done a couple of lagers already and if it calls for it to be 52 degrees I always make a starter. Also, a pretty big one around 2 to 3 liters 48 hours before Brew day and let it go at room temp. Also I pitch my yeast into my Wort at the same temp of 52 degrees. I have found that I get better fermentation with that. I assume you're doing an extract Brew because it looks like the recipe is set for that. Basically, just Brew the recipe and cool it like you regularly would down to the low 70s upper 60s. Then, I put the wort and the yeast starter in my temperature controlled refrigerator and let it set 24 hours then pitch the yeast and let it roll for about 3 weeks.

I have done a couple of lagers already and if it calls for it to be 52 degrees I always make a starter. Also, a pretty big one around 2 to 3 liters 48 hours before Brew day and let it go at room temp. Also I pitch my yeast into my Wort at the same temp of 52 degrees. I have found that I get better fermentation with that. I assume you're doing an extract Brew because it looks like the recipe is set for that. Basically, just Brew the recipe and cool it like you regularly would down to the low 70s upper 60s. Then, I put the wort and the yeast starter in my temperature controlled refrigerator and let it set 24 hours then pitch the yeast and let it roll for about 3 weeks.

Thank you

How much would it effect it if I used Saflager 34/70 instead of the German lager it calls for. It’s what’s available at my local HBS. Didn’t want to have to order if I didn’t have to. Also could I pitch multiple packs or would a starter still be best?

Thanks again

Last edited:
Np! I started doing lagers a couple months ago and had plenty of questions so I figured I'd share my knowledge! If you have anymore questions let me know

I edited my previous post with another question

I do partial mash/partial boil and have been very successful using W34/70 in several lagers. I just pitch one packet without hydrating. I put the top off water in the freezer while I’m mashing/boiling so I only have to cool the wort to about 95 degrees before blending. Final pitch temperature is about 55 and ferm temp is 55 for 10 to 14 days.

Back