Android on Verizon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dataz722

Reaction score
I have been trying to hold off but I think the time has finally come that I need a new phone. I am looking to go to something android based and am looking to get opinions on what to get. I would prefer a keyboard since I hate typing on a touchscreen but don't know how plausable that is going to be.

Suggestions?

Oh, and I am not the least bit interested in switching carriers or going with an iphone so suggesting either is just a waste of your time.

Thanks

Droid 3. Best keyboard based 3G phone. I have the original and still like it. Check your local bulk shop (Costco, bjs, Sam's) and Amazon. You may save $50+ dollars over buying from Verizon.
Brewr is a good recipe app that also has a built in timer for when you get your new phone.

I like the Droid 2. The Droid X offers HD video, but it's way too big, IMO. The Droid 2 is small enough for a pocket. Both are fine phones, IMO. Verizon usually offers some deals on either one.

Droid 3. Best keyboard based 3G phone. I have the original and still like it. Check your local bulk shop (Costco, bjs, Sam's) and Amazon. You may save $50+ dollars over buying from Verizon.
Brewr is a good recipe app that also has a built in timer for when you get your new phone.

My wife has a Driod 2 and I like it so I was thinking about the Droid 3. From what I have read though the 3 is really underpowered compared to other new phones.

I would also kind of prefer to avoid Motorola but that isn't really a big thing.

dataz722 said:
My wife has a Driod 2 and I like it so I was thinking about the Droid 3. From what I have read though the 3 is really underpowered compared to other new phones.

I would also kind of prefer to avoid Motorola but that isn't really a big thing.

Not sure which other phones give you a slide out keyboard. Droid 3 under powered? Interesting. Definitely true against 4G phones.
Stay away from HTC. They seem to have power consumption issues. Uses too much power.

Personally, I'm waiting until next year when the Tegra 3 Quad ( Kal-El ) smartphones start showing up. Faster processors, lower power usage and most likely 4G at that point. I figure I'm going to have it for a while so might as well wait for the next generation.

My original Droid has served me well, but it's days are numbered.

The phone I have been holding out for is the Droid Bionic. Although I am not in any sort of major rush since my OG Droid is running Gingerbread flawlessly at the moment.

Not sure which other phones give you a slide out keyboard. Droid 3 under powered? Interesting. Definitely true against 4G phones.
Stay away from HTC. They seem to have power consumption issues. Uses too much power.

I have heard that about their battery life, but that isn't toooo much of a concern for me. I will probably get a spare battery and I normally have a power source around.

Personally, I'm waiting until next year when the Tegra 3 Quad ( Kal-El ) smartphones start showing up. Faster processors, lower power usage and most likely 4G at that point. I figure I'm going to have it for a while so might as well wait for the next generation.

My original Droid has served me well, but it's days are numbered.

I was planning on waiting until fall but over the past week or so my BB has been declining, and fast.

The phone I have been holding out for is the Droid Bionic. Although I am not in any sort of major rush since my OG Droid is running Gingerbread flawlessly at the moment.

As of this moment I think I am considering either Droid 3, Thuderbolt, Charge or try and hold out for Bionic.

I got the HTC Thunderbolt about 2 months ago.

Previously, I was using the Blackberry Tour and loved it.

I really, really, really like the Thunderbolt. I loved the qwerty keyboard on my Tour, and it takes a little getting used to to type on-screen, but it is one of the best touchscreen keyboards I've encountered.

Battery life is shorter than average, but I use Juice-Defender, and don't have too much trouble making it through the day on a charge. I do make sure and have a charger available at the office and in the car just in case. Good thing, is that my BB chargers all work with this. .. so I have plenty of chargers around without buying new ones.

The best feature to me is the 4G, and mobile wi-fi with 4G. Verizon now charges extra to use the mobile wi-fi, but it's well worth it to me. . .never have to worry about a secure connection on the road again, and the 4G speeds rival my home cable-modem.

I have a DroidX and I love it. There is no keyboard, but I learned to use the touchscreen and it's easy for me now.

I got the HTC Thunderbolt about 2 months ago.

Previously, I was using the Blackberry Tour and loved it.

I really, really, really like the Thunderbolt. I loved the qwerty keyboard on my Tour, and it takes a little getting used to to type on-screen, but it is one of the best touchscreen keyboards I've encountered.

I had a Tour for about a year but after having it replaced 4 times they gave me the new Bold when that came out. I've been using that for about a year now and have really like it but have just been having a ton of problems lately.

FWIW, SWMBO also has the OG Droid and *never* uses the physical keyboard.

I will have to ask how much mine uses hers. I know she did a lot at first but not sure now. I just know I hate typing on my ipod touch because of my fat clumsy fingers.

I am also now considering just having Verizon replace my current phone and try and wait it out another few months.

I have the Samsung Charge. It doesn't have a tactile keyboard, but I like the drag text option. Only downfall is the battery life.

http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones/SCH-I510RAAVZW

How do you like the interface and the speed? I just finished reading a bunch of reviews saying that it can be really laggy and that Samsungs interface just sucks in general.

Sucks because that is the one that I was starting to lean towards.

Personally, it's fine for me. I'm not very tech-savvy, though. Also, I'm in an area w/only 3G coverage, so everything is a bit slow. When I visit Cleveland or Columbus, I do notice a pick-up in the processing speed. I bought this phone because "they" say our area will be stepping up to 4-G and this was one of two models 4-G available when I purchased it.

As far as the interface, it's been fine for me, but, again, I'm really a cyber-idiot.

I should add the biggest single disappointment w/the phone is the battery. It hasn't given me a full day's work. Could be because I'm in 3G coverage. No matter the reason, it's pretty frustrating.

I run a droid incredible on verizon right now. If I was to get a new phone today it would probably be a droid 3, although I like the HTC interface better than Motorola's.

I love my Droid 2, and have heard excellent things about the D3. I rarely use the physical keyboard since the latest beta of Swype is so good.

I'm also running Liberty 0.9 instead of the stock OS, which gives me some excellent performance boosts.

For any smartphones, turn off the data and lower the display brightness to get you device to last the whole day. Turn on the data, GPS, and wireless only when you plan to use them. Also download only apps you need/want. my 2 cents.

If you get SWYPE on the phone, it takes a lot of the clumsiness of the onscreen keyboard away. Takes some getting used to, but is much easier to type with.

Got a Milestone X recently and I like it. After they replaced the one that made me pull the battery out every day that is.

It's a large phone, but i"m used to it. The keyboard is MUCH better than the older HTC Android I used, and I haven't even started using the SWYPE or voice entry methods yet.

Wife has the Milestone with the keyboard and she uses that all the time. The phone is smaller screen but thicker. There are newer and faster phones out there, but I got what was on sale.

Go charge. My buddy has one, and it is rooted. I have major phone envy. 4g is the bomb. I have the droid 1. I got it because at the time, I didnt like touch screen keyboards. The newer phones have a large enough touch screen that an on screen keyboard works great.

If you want a physical keyboard the Droid 3 is the way to go. It is in no way underpowered except the lack of 4G. Depending on the area you are in that may not even matter.

Back