Android App To Find Breweries Along Route

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UncleD

Reaction score
Hey homebrew community. I just wanted to share an app I developed for my dad that some of you may find useful. Only available for Android right now. If you are planning a trip, this app will show the breweries along the way. Free to download, no ads or any crap like that...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.JED.derrick.taproute&hl=en

I am just getting back into homebrewing, and hope to become more active in the community. I am also working on posting a write-up for a DIY kegerator I built this weekend.

I can't wait to use this! My wife and I have the worst travel luck imaginable (freak weather events/closures, etc) so we often spend most of our time looking for and sitting at breweries. Thanks!!

I can't wait to use this! My wife and I have the worst travel luck imaginable (freak weather events/closures, etc) so we often spend most of our time looking for and sitting at breweries. Thanks!!

You're welcome! I hope it helps you guys out!

Really cool app! Not sure where it's pulling brewery data from, but I can tell you that at least one newer brewery is missing near me (Porter Brewing in Redmond, OR).

Really cool app! Not sure where it's pulling brewery data from, but I can tell you that at least one newer brewery is missing near me (Porter Brewing in Redmond, OR).

The app uses the Foursquare API service. There may be some places that either aren't listed as "Brewery", or they haven't listed with Foursquare.

How do we/you enter breweries that are missing??
Pat

The brewery owner/representative needs to list their business with Foursquare. This is much like how a brewery would list with google to show up on google maps.

The brewery owner/representative needs to list their business with Foursquare. This is much like how a brewery would list with google to show up on google maps.
I think anyone can add it if it doesn't exist. If it does, you can still suggest an edit and the owner needs to verify it.

I've added breweries to Foursquare to check-in on untappd.

Wow, I didn't know anyone actually used Foursquare anymore. :D

They have pivoted from the old days of "checking in", and now provide the API for developers to get places information into their applications.

I think anyone can add it if it doesn't exist. If it does, you can still suggest an edit and the owner needs to verify it.

I've added breweries to Foursquare to check-in on untappd.

I believe you are correct!

This is actually a pretty impressive app. Imo it's what brewguru wished it could be. Maybe I'm missing something while testing it out, but it would be nice to just see all the breweries in the area without actually having to enter a route.
**update**
Now I see using the pindrop feature will pull up all breweries in an area.

Last edited:
This is actually a pretty impressive app. Imo it's what brewguru wished it could be. Maybe I'm missing something while testing it out, but it would be nice to just see all the breweries in the area without actually having to enter a route.
**update**

Thanks for the compliment thunderwagn!

I have had requests for a simple "Search Near Me" function. This will be added and updated soon.

Foursquare seems to have a lot of private residences in my area listed as breweries. I'm guessing anyone can list their house as a brewery?

Lol ... That bugs me and it's against the rules to list private residences as public so I remove them:

20181212_163056.png

Foursquare seems to have a lot of private residences in my area listed as breweries. I'm guessing anyone can list their house as a brewery?

Yes, unfortunately.

If you tap on the label window (that contains the brewery name and address), if the venue has a URL listed, it will take you there. This can help determine the validity of a business. If the business does not have a URL, the app will take you to the Foursquare listing. You can usually tell at this point if the place looks like a legit brewery.

And like @RPh_Guy said, you can report the listing as well...

**update**

Added a "Search Near Me" function in V 3.7 released earlier this week. Hope you guys like it. This feature ins't much different than a simple google search, but a had a handful of requests for it, so I added it.

FYI, iOS version is in development...

Awesome! I've occasionally tried to find a good brewery location app with out much luck. I like yours already, even without taking a trip yet. Thank you! Keep up the good work.

This is my new favorite app! I'm always wondering if I'm traveling near a brewery, and this app shows all of them, not just the places that paid Google to be listed at the top of the search results.

Awesome! I've occasionally tried to find a good brewery location app with out much luck. I like yours already, even without taking a trip yet. Thank you! Keep up the good work.

Glad you like it, the positive feedback is great to hear!

This is my new favorite app! I'm always wondering if I'm traveling near a brewery, and this app shows all of them, not just the places that paid Google to be listed at the top of the search results.

Glad to hear you are enjoying it!

FYI, just released an update with a couple of user interface improvements and options to view the foursquare venue page or the brewery website directly. Also added a feature to open the venue location in google maps if you would rather use google's navigation.

Currently beta testing an iOS version of the app as well. Hope to roll it out this month...

Latest update includes a profile section to add visits to breweries and mark as saved for later.

The user profile will open the door for other ideas like being able to create a road trip plan and save for later, etc...

Also, you can now report a brewery or suggest a missing brewery. It does require that you have a foursquare account.

Any ideas or suggestions for improvement are welcome!

I can not register. The app keeps saying my passwords don't match. They do!
I'm not sure if it's because I have to move my keyboard out of the way to select the next line
or something else.
I have tried closing/reopening the app and starting from the beginning numerous times. No luck.
Help

This is really awesome! Thank you!

You're welcome, let us know if you have any feedback or features that would make this app better!

I can not register. The app keeps saying my passwords don't match. They do!
I'm not sure if it's because I have to move my keyboard out of the way to select the next line
or something else.
I have tried closing/reopening the app and starting from the beginning numerous times. No luck.
Help

This bug has been resolved in the 4.4 release today. You should be able to create a user now. Sorry for the inconvenience!

I'm having a problem with your app. I can't sign up. No matter what I do it says "error passwords do not match"

I'm having a problem with your app. I can't sign up. No matter what I do it says "error passwords do not match"

This issue has been resolved as of the 4.4 release yesterday. Sorry for the inconvenience!

I was able to get logged in and create my account.. love it so far

Glad you like it! We'll continue working on ways to make this a useful tool and fun app to use! Feedback is encouraged!

Sweet idea. Yelp's Fusion API is pretty good for local breweries, though you can only get 1000 results even if your API query finds 1000+ results. For cross-platform, maybe a PWA?

Sweet idea. Yelp's Fusion API is pretty good for local breweries, though you can only get 1000 results even if your API query finds 1000+ results. For cross-platform, maybe a PWA?

Fusion seems comparable to the FS API. If anything, it looks like it allows more queries in the sandbox. Definitely worth looking into if needed someday. I didn't see the ability for users to add/remove venues in Yelp...

We just rolled out an update that includes an improved social portion, an explore feature, and the ability to create and save routes when planning a trip. We'll keep working on making this a helpful and fun app for the craft beer community. Feedback and ideas are welcome!

Cheers!

Back