and i didn't give my Lager a diacetal rest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TipsySaint

Reaction score
So i just made my first lager. Made a starter of about 4.5 billion cells of Wyeast 2633. Hit my gravities, pitched at about 50F. Fermentation took off. Life was good. Didn't think about it much. threw it on a heating schedule of primary 54F for 14 days then bring it up to the 62 for 4 days and rack and ramp to lager temps.

So here I am 7 days into primary fermentation and i check my gravity and it's at 1.10.....

there really doesn't appear to be much activity in the air lock. should I put it up to 62 now? Wait? or is that all now pointless?

Thanks!

Teh

1.10? You mean 1.010, right? If so, yes, give it the diacetyl rest, if it needs it. Doing it on a schedule like that (14 days at X, raise to Y for so many days) is really only useful as a guideline. Your yeast will work at the pace it work at, and has no care for the number of days you planned in your recipe log. But to the diacetyl rest question, your yeast will still do some cleanup work, even if primary fermentation is done, so yes, bring up the temp.

yeah it's morning. typing isn't so great. 1.10.....ok so start the ramp up to 62 is still worth the effort? As a total newb to lagers....what exactly is the goal of this fermentation step? I ask because you said "If it needs it" and i have no idea how to figure that out :)

Thanks for the quick reply Jordan!

yeah it's morning. typing isn't so great. 1.10.....ok so start the ramp up to 62 is still worth the effort? As a total newb to lagers....what exactly is the goal of this fermentation step? I ask because you said "If it needs it" and i have no idea how to figure that out :)

Thanks for the quick reply Jordan!

Which is it? 1.100 or 1.010? 1.100 is a huge OG for a beer let along 7 days into fermentation....1.010 sounds like a good FG...

The goal of a D-rest is for the yeast to consume diacetyl, a natural byproduct of fermentation. This happens best at a temp 8-10* above primary fermentation temp. The amount of diacetyl produced varies by yeast strain and your process. Based on the first post, you're doing everything right.

You might try this: after 3 days or so at a D-rest, check the gravity. Then take that sample and heat it in a microwave 15 seconds or so until it is luke warm. At that temp, any diacetyl will be obvious. Look for butterscotch flavor/aroma and a slick mouthfeel. If you don't perceive this in the beer, you're probably good to go and can chill the fermenter again before racking. You're on the right track so far, so I doubt diacetyl will be an issue. I've done D-rests as long as a week for strains that produce a lot of diacetyl.

So my beer is now headed up to 62 (thank you heat belt) and I'll check it again in a couple of days to see where we are at with flavor. I mean i'm already at gravity so i'm not expecting that to drop much am i?

so do you guys just allow the temp to raise to 62 or do you do this slowly like 5 degrees per day.

I started with lagers and have been asking questions. Some say there really is no need for a rest almost always?
I only have three lagers under my belt but I would bring it up to 68 for 3 or 4 days just for the hell of it cant hurt...Then crash 2 32 for a week.I've done the short lager method every time and the beer has been kegged carbed and awesome at 3 weeks from brew day.

I see know reason for a slow ramping up/down of the temps. I set freezer to rest/crash temp and let the beer naturally rise/drop. Hers a link that got a few replies about Diacetyl rest

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=622473

Heres a link with my 3 week beer....just because I like the picture of my beer :D

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=622478

Latest posts

Back