And how are you prepared for the coming Zombie Apocalypse?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i would make a nuclear reactor from just a soda can, a paper clip, a potato and some chewing gum

and I left a key component out of the list, for security reasons

I would make a zombie motion detector out of 3 blind mice, 2 tampons, and a cob of corn.

Failing that, I would fashion a helicopter out of 4 gallons of used shaving gel, 2 paperclips, and my own junk.

Now you know why I NEVER leave my house without 4 gallons of used shaving gel.

I would make a zombie motion detector out of 3 blind mice, 2 tampons, and a cob of corn.

Failing that, I would fashion a helicopter out of 4 gallons of used shaving gel, 2 paperclips, and my own junk.

Now you know why I NEVER leave my house without 4 gallons of used shaving gel.

paperclips for the main and your junk for the tail rotor :eek:

I bet you $50 that the best prepared paranoid fruitloop with a concrete bunker and 20 years worth of water, solar generator, etc. will be at Wal mart when the outbreak occurs and will die immediately or be trapped in the cieling at wal mart with 2 other shoppers and a wal mart employee.

Final episode of hill street blues (set in NYC), guy gets arrestedafter owning an arsonal (legally) that included dynomite (illegal). He feared some crazy thing (ZA, or just mass riots). Anyhow, he gets shot and dies while in holding. He might as well have been in walmart.

All signs and prophesies point toward a global end. Everything that has a beginning has an end, Neo. It would be nice if the end was via a global Zombie Apocalypse instead of extreme climate change or nuclear war creating the end for humankind. Why? Well, zombies are a lot more fun then something you have no chance against.

Personally I think some level of preparedness should be on your mind. Even if not for an apocalypse for a financial system melt down. It happened less than 1 century ago and people were far more productive back then.

Personally I think some level of preparedness should be on your mind. Even if not for an apocalypse for a financial system melt down. It happened less than 1 century ago and people were far more productive back then.

katrina and sandy should be enough of a warning for people to have some sort of basic preparedness

food and water for all in the house (don't forget your pets!) for at least 3 days in case you're stuck at home in the short-term

something in the car, in case you're stuck on the road

bug-out bag

prepping for the long-term is best, if that's your thing, and you can afford it

All signs and prophesies point toward a global end.

People have prophesized the end of the world since the beginning of time. I will now foretell the only prophecy that is guaranteed to come true....I shall be drunk by the setting of this evening's sun. Boom.

People have prophesized the end of the world since the beginning of time. I will now foretell the only prophecy that is guaranteed to come true....I shall be drunk by the setting of this evening's sun. Boom.

One simple one is the car battery charger (portable) like $100. It has USB and car charger outlets. It can charge my phone roughly 100 times, and can charge anything that has a car charger. You just have to keep it charged ;)

Water, food, fishing equipment, guns. Find a place to post up in the mountains. We could last a good long while.

I already live in a rural area on 2.5 acres that is heavily wooded. We have a huge garden of heirloom vegetables that we can at harvest, over 100 chickens with a self sustaining flock, bee hives, medical equipment, and many rain barrels. Plenty of hunting and fishing equipment as well as home defense items. We have several alternative power sources. I recommend having books on natural medical treatments, homesteading, etc. We have a lot of family nearby and we have designated our house as the meeting point for emergencies. We don't view this as prepping, it's just how we grew up and live now. But if SHTF, we would survive and thrive just fine.

Ahh, the zombie apocalypse. This is one topic that, surprisingly, brings out a lot of good ideas (and some bad) with practical applications. Even if one doesn't experience the end of civilization via zombies (b/c SkyNet whiped us out first), the steps needed for preparation in the event of a major disaster are very simliar. Here's a few more thoughts to toss into the ring:

The Bug Out Bag (a.k.a. BOB) - just Google that and see what you come up with. Everything from water to MREs to hatchets to flares are on there. I say prep a BOB for each vehicle and an extra one in the house for more weapons (particularly ammo).

Be mobile - you know, as awesome as it would be to have a concrete bunker with 20 years of food, it's best to be at least somewhat mobile in the event your neighborhood gets overrun and you need to exfil pretty quick. Having a motorcycle isn't a bad idea since you can get away faster than if you had an F-150 or a Suburban. Hell, having a Malibu or a Fusion is better than the trucks (less space, yes, but much better gas mileage and better acceleration).

Don't rely on guns - zombies will move to the sound of loud noises, and in a full blown apocalypse, I doubt anyone will be making more bullets. Guns should be a last resort only. Blunt weapons like axes, baseball bats, shovels, and pieces of wood (2x4s can REALLY hurt) are preferable since you don't have to reload them.

Alliances - as in war, you'll have to fightbwith people you don't know, and possibly people you don't like. Get to know your neighbors, have rally points plotted, and be prepared to horse-trade if necessary.

And finally...

Beer - I think we can forget about this for the time being. Processed and canned foods are all that will be left until we can start farming again, though I think there will be SOME kind of fermentation going on (read: moonshine). Sure, the equipment will still be there (fermenters, hoses, burners, etc.) but the lack of ingredients will be a stumbling block. We can live off what we have until it runs out or decomposses, but we'll be very short on beer till someone starts a hop farm again.

Unfortunately, in my current position, I'd be screwed right now if it happened. I just started building pantry shelves in the basement and the new storage shelf in the garage, so I'm technically still in build mode. Beyond my Mossberg and some bottled water, I have a lot of catching up to do!

For a zombie apocalypse I'd fashion large spikes to my mini roto tiller and swing away until eaten. When the aliens come ill worship them as gods. If a comet strikes 30 of the best beer I can find, a lawn chair and the best place to view the impact. I don't want to live in a mad max world. Way too lazy

I'm not too worried about it. I would probably be a zombie. The same as the rest of you bastards.

this is true. we all have to come to terms that most of us will be zombies.

not me though. I have Belgian Dark Strong for blood. when I get up in the morning, I crap a Trappist yeast cake. the rest of you may be screwed.

Pretty effing subjective, but fun.

Yea I believe it giving you positive credit for taking the "every man for himself" approach instead of wanting to make friends to band together for safety in numbers which is the approach I would use. If you are in a group and the Zombies overrun you....you only have to be faster than the slowest person in your group....:p

I'd open a bar. In hard times people want a drink. Then it would become a place of trade and a hub for defense. If their is sugar and yeast people will get a drink. I'd have to start keeping bee's.

Hey maybe that's how the whole zombie apocalypse gets started... some mad scientist homebrewer in search of the ultimate ale puts radiated yeast or hops in the fermenter and the next thing ya know the whole bbq party turns into zombies :D

Well I got a 62% but I think I lost a lot of points because im not in the greatest physical condition.

BTW That's the one thing I would do (and have been trying to do) in case of an apocalyptic situation. I think thats one thing a lot of people don't think about when they talk about these kinds of thing is that honestly barring a great deal of luck the "fittest" are the ones who will probably survive. I don't mean that in a purely physical way either. I think that there may be a lot of people in a zombie apocalypse(or any other one) who in regular life might have been extremely wealthy, famous or successful who will end up as lunch while a lot of "bubba" type folks who know how to improvise will come out ok... just my 2 cents.

I own a nanobrewery. I am about to buy an enduro bike. I have a crossbow. I'm 6'3 and jacked. One of my best friends and neighbor is a marine combat vet and has a ****load of guns. I am definitely surviving this ****.

I have a kukrhi machete.

I've got food and water stored (at least 3 months of each), a shot gun, a bolt action 30-06 sighted at 200 yards, a .22 with scope, a 9mm, 44 mag and .22 pistol and ammo stored for all of them, more knives and swords than I can to name, a 70lb compound bow, bug out bags, precious metal, seeds etc. Also have a friend with a cabin on a small island with only 20 other cabins. They all garden and deer swim to the island constantly. So I've got a decent head start.

Well I got a 62% but I think I lost a lot of points because im not in the greatest physical condition.

BTW That's the one thing I would do (and have been trying to do) in case of an apocalyptic situation. I think thats one thing a lot of people don't think about when they talk about these kinds of thing is that honestly barring a great deal of luck the "fittest" are the ones who will probably survive. I don't mean that in a purely physical way either. I think that there may be a lot of people in a zombie apocalypse(or any other one) who in regular life might have been extremely wealthy, famous or successful who will end up as lunch while a lot of "bubba" type folks who know how to improvise will come out ok... just my 2 cents.

You are correct about the physical condition being important to survival. The slow runners will be the first to go and zombies target fat people because, well there is more flesh to enjoy!

The famous and rich people in the cities are definitely the first to go and "bubba" would be the last because back to my original point: City people are screwed, country people will be the last survivors. In the country we are self sufficient if necessary and far away from the hordes of zombies that will overwhelm the cities, not to mention country people have every possible weapon on hand for zombie slaying.

imaginary? you'll get eaten while telling the zombie, "I don't believe in you." you better have 2L of Trippel just to be safe.

I guess they'll have to wait their turn behind unicorns, leprachauns, the tooth fairy and other magical entities.

Or maybe Yahweh will smote me for eating pork.

When you think of the sheer number of imaginary and mythical creatures that could have it out for me...its amazing I'm still around....simply amazing.

But you guys still go on and on about zombies coming to get you....

I guess they'll have to wait their turn behind unicorns, leprachauns, the tooth fairy and other magical entities.

When you think of the sheer number of imaginary and mythical creatures that could have it out for me...its amazing I'm still around....simply amazing.

Look I like you, but you are coming off as a complete ******.

People in here want to fantacise and use imagination. don't want to play? Fine! But don't come in and troll.

1."Cardio"[5]
2."Double tap"[6] ("Ziploc bags" in a deleted scene)[5]
3."Beware of bathrooms"[5][7]
4."Seatbelts"
6."Cast iron skillet"
7."Travel light"
8."Get a kickass partner"
12."Bounty paper towels"
15."Bowling Ball"
17."Don't be a hero." Columbus changes the rule to "Be a hero" at the amusement park, facing his greatest fear, a clown-zombie, to save Wichita and Little Rock.
18."Limber up"
19."Ziploc bags"
21."Avoid strip clubs"
22."When in doubt, know your way out"
29."The buddy system"
31."Check the back seat"[8]
32."Enjoy the little things"[9]
33."Swiss army knife"
34."Clean socks"
48."Hygiene"
49."Always have backup"

We joke about the rules all the time at my house. At my house if you start turning into a zombie or acting possessed rule number two is to be invoked immediately because I do not like rule number one anymore. We are also big supporters of rule number 32. We like to explain rule 2 and 32 when new people come over. The looks we get are worth it.:eek:

1."Cardio"[5]
4."Seatbelts"
6."Cast iron skillet"
7."Travel light"
12."Bounty paper towels"
15."Bowling Ball"
17."Don't be a hero." Columbus changes the rule to "Be a hero" at the amusement park, facing his greatest fear, a clown-zombie, to save Wichita and Little Rock.
18."Limber up"
19."Ziploc bags"
21."Avoid strip clubs"
29."The buddy system"
33."Swiss army knife"
34."Clean socks"
48."Hygiene"
49."Always have backup"

I friggin love Zombieland. :mug:

"Zombie kill of the week award goes to....."

Last edited by a moderator:
Sean of the Dead beats Zombieland in my book, but for style and fun, Zombieland WINS hardcore. The opening credits kick more ass than most zombie movies!!!!(cue up "For whom the Bell Tolls" from long before Metallica SUCKAGE)

keep talkin' like that, brofluff. Cthulhu & honest politicians are listening. :rockin:
and you are becoming a real downer, Lola. I'm not gonna let you kiss my mom anymore.

1."Cardio"[5]
4."Seatbelts"
6."Cast iron skillet"
7."Travel light"
12."Bounty paper towels"
15."Bowling Ball"
18."Limber up"
19."Ziploc bags"
21."Avoid strip clubs"
29."The buddy system"
33."Swiss army knife"
34."Clean socks"
48."Hygiene"
49."Always have backup"

If we're lucky, Amazon Studios will pick up Zombieland as a regular series (it was one of their 14 pilot episodes). In the pilot, there were showing "Zombie Kill of the Week" and the rules of Zombieland throughout the episode, so it makes me wonder if there will be more rules coming forth soon. I'm sure this forum could think of a few.

Have soaked my brain in homebrew until there is nothing left for a zombie to want. :)
But then again I live way out, and off grid. I hope youse guys will tell me when it starts. :)

Back