Anchovy Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffD1

Reaction score
Has this ever been done, and should I dare attempt it? I was thinking of adding anchovies to the boil of either a stout or a porter. I wouldn't want a strong anchovy flavor, but just enough to be noticeable. Besides the fact that many people don't like anchovies (which just means more beer for me) could this work? I would love to hear people's opinions.

I love anchovies! I put anchovy paste in my spaghetti sauces, and often in other dishes as well.

But anchovies in my beer? The idea sort of turns my stomach.

Maybe try it? Add a smooshed up anchovy (or a very tiny piece of one) to a glass of beer and see if tastes as terrible (or good, to you!) as it sounds.

Do it!
Small batch only, as Yoops said I use them in cooking, adds a little something special in the right recipe. Beer you're on your own;)

You're a braver man than I.

I'd say that's one of those "a little bit goes a long way" sort of things. Good luck.

Maybe try it? Add a smooshed up anchovy (or a very tiny piece of one) to a glass of beer and see if tastes as terrible (or good, to you!) as it sounds.

That's a very good idea. I'll try that! Thanks!

I'd try it, but I sure wouldn't make it.

I had a homebrewed clamato beer once. It was surprising OK. Now that might benefit from anchovy. Might.

If you're really wanting to go full monte, you'd want to ferment your own fish (garum) or find some canned Surstromming. Search youtube for the latter for a laugh.

Latest posts

Back