Anchoring a Riptide Pump?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iowa Brewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
About to set up a new eBIAB system and see the Riptide's base has holes for bolting it to a surface. Never used a pump before, but I'm guessing those bolting-it-down parts are essential? Not doing so would end in a catastrophe that would be hilarious to all but me?

My kettle's going on a stainless steel table and I'd rather not drill into its shelf, if I don't have to, so thought I'd check on here first to make sure my assumption is right and--if so--see if there was a better way to anchor it than just drilling in to my shelf.

Thanks for any insights!

At the very least an unsecured pump will "walk" around to the extent the attached plumbing allows. That said, some folks that didn't build rigid brew rigs have actually made little pump sleds...

Cheers!

At the very least an unsecured pump will "walk" around to the extent the attached plumbing allows. That said, some folks that didn't build rigid brew rigs have actually made little pump sleds...

Cheers!

Yes. And I recommend affixing the pump to something. It helps organize all the hoses and whatnot.

20200511_183748.jpg

I've never bolted my Riptide down. I'm always tweaking something out trying some new piece of gear that I'm worried about committing to something too long term. The Riptide is heavy enough that I haven't had any walking. I use camlock fittings on it attached to standard 1/2" silicone tubing. I actually like the ability to move the pump where I need it easily.

I've never bolted my Riptide down. I'm always tweaking something out trying some new piece of gear that I'm worried about committing to something too long term. The Riptide is heavy enough that I haven't had any walking. I use camlock fittings on it attached to standard 1/2" silicone tubing. I actually like the ability to move the pump where I need it easily.

This is really good to know micraftbeer. Cheers!

About to set up a new eBIAB system and see the Riptide's base has holes for bolting it to a surface. Never used a pump before, but I'm guessing those bolting-it-down parts are essential? Not doing so would end in a catastrophe that would be hilarious to all but me?

My kettle's going on a stainless steel table and I'd rather not drill into its shelf, if I don't have to, so thought I'd check on here first to make sure my assumption is right and--if so--see if there was a better way to anchor it than just drilling in to my shelf.

Thanks for any insights!

IB, it sounds like you’re on you way to a nice setup. FWIW, I’ve gone through 4-5 different setups after switching to eBIAB, so I’ve tried a lot of things.

First off, I hope you DO NOT drill into your stainless table - it’s not necessary and you may regret it later. The Riptide pumps don’t walk like a chugger or March pump. While they do have rubber plugs under mounting plate, the plugs will fall out at some point - just how it goes. Happened to me and it’s annoying but still minor compared to what you get out of the Riptide.

I placed a silicone mat on my table, under kettle, and runs over to my controller. i use a thinker silicone pad (6”x6” square) under riptide. Zero problems, end of.

Like others have said, at some you’ll want to mount it for convenience. It’ll make hose management easier, and it just looks more refined.

There are many great ways to mount pumps, but you’ve come to right place for ideas. The u-clamps work great keeping in mind you may want to mount pump on solid plate and run u-bolts through plate Holding pump. Just food for thought.

Personally I like everything mounted to a single table w/ shelf, and having casters to move platform is necessary for me. I had a separate pump/chiller stand at one point but didn’t like it. Adds more clutter to brewing area and I’m streamlining, but they do serve their purpose. Hope this helps.

Cheers 🍻

Last edited:
IB, it sounds like you’re on you way to a nice setup. FWIW, I’ve gone through 4-5 different setups after switching to eBIAB, so I’ve tried a lot of things.

First off, I hope you DO NOT drill into your stainless table - it’s not necessary and you may regret it later. The Riptide pumps don’t walk like a chugger or March pump. While they do have rubber plugs under mounting plate, the plugs will fall out at some point - just how it goes. Happened to me and it’s annoying but still minor compared to what you get out of the Riptide.

I placed a silicone mat on my table, under kettle, and runs over to my controller. i use a thinker silicone pad (6”x6” square) under riptide. Zero problems, end of.

Like others have said, at some you’ll want to mount it for convenience. It’ll make hose management easier, and it just looks more refined.

There are many great ways to mount pumps, but you’ve come to right place for ideas. The u-clamps work great keeping in mind you may want to mount pump on solid plate and run u-bolts through plate Holding pump. Just food for thought.

Personally I like everything mounted to a single table w/ shelf, and having casters to move platform is necessary for me. I had a separate pump/chiller stand at one point but didn’t like it. Adds more clutter to brewing area and I’m streamlining, but they do serve their purpose. Hope this helps.

Cheers 🍻

Thanks so much KBW PilotHouse! Great advice and points. Yes, I’m well excited about the new set up, and will post some photos once it’s all together 👍

My Riptide pump has rubber feet that mitigates it from "walking" around. I've used my unmounted pair of pumps for about 60 batches and have never seen one move. It is helpful to move them to different locations when cleaning or performing other maintenance.

I mounted my pump to a small piece of wood. The platform/base is roughly 8”x6”. It’s small stable and mobile. I’m going to do the same when my riptide pump comes in

+1 to not mounting the Riptides. Never had an issue with them "walking", and I am always moving them around for one reason or another. The engineer in me would love to have a sleek system with everything tidily bolted down in it's "proper place". But I think I would always be unbolting and re-bolting these pumps to their mount if I went that route, and I can't find enough value for doing so. (And KBW PH is correct, the rubber feet WILL always find a way of removing themselves, which is a nuisance but not a big deal.)

I might even do a longer board to go across my catch can. Pic of the plate chiller too

Attachments

• 9B9CD7B0-F133-4135-8CC7-09D5FA0BC4C7.jpeg
    9B9CD7B0-F133-4135-8CC7-09D5FA0BC4C7.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 21
  • 680FAA7D-43A9-4FC4-AB14-2F9E326AAC96.jpeg
    680FAA7D-43A9-4FC4-AB14-2F9E326AAC96.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 22
I drilled my stainless shelf to mount two pumps.... Works very well...
Other installation where I drilled and mounted some black iron to be a stand for my pot doesn't work quite as well and I'm planning to swap it for some welded tube soon.
Just find some sheet metal screws that are just a tiny bit bigger than the holes that you drill and that's usually enough to hold something down like a pump...
My burner is also mounted by drilling and that also works well...

I have a Pumpzilla mounted to a 6in x 10in x3/8 thick piece of pvc. It works pretty well keep that pump stationary. My Riptide is much heavier and has rubber feet to stabilize it when in use. FWIW I don't think a Riptide needs to be mounted for the above reasons.

Back