An unusual question for you brewers.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCBeerMedic

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I love my hobby of brewing and I love beer. Recently though, I had surgery for weight loss and my stomach is now half the size it was. I can no longer drink an entire 12 oz beer. I plan on kegging so waste will no longer be an issue, however carbonation and alcohol content kick my arse. I started drinking more ciders due to low carbonation/alcohol. How do I brew and enjoy the beers I love like stouts and ales, keep the carbonation level low but it still taste good and I enjoy it?

Try making Ordinary English Bitter or low alcohol English milds. The low carbonation helps the styles by making them taste more full-bodied. Use a higher percentage of specialty grains than for a full-strength beer (20% crystal isn't unheard of - think about the overall quantity of specialty grain being similar to a standard strength beer) and mash at high temp.

Stouts and ales are low carbonation styles to boot.
I do not keg, but having low carbonation on the keg may not be conducent to good pours.
(for what I have read in this wonderful forum)
Someone with experience in Kegging/Serving these tyes will explain better.

ETA: I woder how come when I type, there´s no posts and when I submit mine...
Suddenly there are a few of them..
I think I need to write faster.

I do not keg, but having low carbonation on the keg may not be conducent to good pours.

Doesn't matter. You can set what you want. It should be easier to get a good pour with lower carbonation. Most complaints about pours are about foaming.

Congratulations on taking a step towards a healthier lifestyle (I know, weird on a beer forum). As other have said you can try some German and English styles that have low carbonation or maybe jump into some cask aging.

Is it possible to do IPA low carbonation? While I'm not a super big fan there are a few that I enjoy and wouldn't mind trying my hand at them

You can brew any beer to whatever level of alcohol or carbonation you want to. The only thing would be that it is not to style guidelines in a judging.

Your quad IPA would no longer be in that category, but you might have a very nice session hoppy pale ale....

Back