An old, full keg. Help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weeksc07

Reaction score
So we found an old 7.75 gallon Sam Adams keg while cleaning the attic. It's still full. I need to find a way to empty it safely so I can put it into service for myself. This thing is at least 10 years old so I don't care about keeping the beer. Anyone got some hints for me so I don't get blown to pieces?

So we found an old 7.75 gallon Sam Adams keg while cleaning the attic. It's still full. I need to find a way to empty it safely so I can put it into service for myself. This thing is at least 10 years old so I don't care about keeping the beer. Anyone got some hints for me so I don't get blown to pieces?

attach whatever you plan to use to take your beer out of it, drain.

I guess the problem is that I don't have any kegging equipment at this point in my brewing career, so should I go out and buy something or can I just depress the valve and let it leak out?

put a party tap or regular sankey tap on it open the tap up and drain into sink, terlit, plants, etc until no more comes out pressure hits 0. Then remove the ring and pull the spear. You will probably have to dump some reminants from it when the pressure is off. If you want it to work faster put it on CO2 or pump the living bejeezus out of the party pump and go from there.

All righty! Thanks for the help. Now I just need to decide how I want to repurpose this bad Larry.

are you planning on using this as a fermenter or as a serving keg?

Either way I would recommend removing the dip tube (spear) from the keg in order to give it a thorough cleaning. It will make life much easier on you and they are not that difficult to put back together. Just look up 'removing keg spear' on youtube and you will find all kinds of video tutorials. It's really easy to do......

I use kegs almost exclusively to ferment my 10 gal batches in. I have the spear removed and just us an appropriately sized stopper with air lock. Works great and you never have to worry about any off flavors being thrown by the stainless keg.

Pull that spear, clean 'er up and put her to use!

just be sure to purge the co2 before removing the spear. Just press down on the 'ball' in the center. Be prepared for a serious burst of co2 though and DONT PUT YOUR FACE IN DIRECT LINE WITH THE TOP OF THE KEG.

It is open and empty! And the beer wasn't awful...as long as it was entered in competition as a sour beer.

Back