An Imp Stout with a high amount of Caramunich

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrHans

Reaction score
I have been thinking of making a video on my Youtube channel DrHans Brewery about Caramunich malt for quite some time but never got around to it. As I was sent an Imperial Stout with a high amount of Caramunich, I took the chance to at least talk a little about a malt that I think is quite different from other Cara malts. What are your experiences with using Caramunich? How much do you use, do you blend it with other Cara/crystal malts, and for what beer styles do you use it in?

Last edited:
I have used Caramunich 46L in a variety of pale, golden, and amber lagers, where I enjoy its malty flavor contribution. I have never used it in an ale or a dark beer. Typically I've applied it at about 5% of the grain bill, which is where I usually cap the crystal malt contributions in a lager. I'll check out your video now, Dr. Hans. Skål!

I have used Caramunich 46L in a variety of pale, golden, and amber lagers, where I enjoy its malty flavor contribution. I have never used it in an ale or a dark beer. Typically I've applied it at about 5% of the grain bill, which is where I usually cap the crystal malt contributions in a lager. I'll check out your video now, Dr. Hans. Skål!
I´ts a very interesting malt for sure. I made a red lager with Caramunich II and Saphir hops which turned out great. Cheers!

Back