An easy question about mash and sparge volume

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericbw

Reaction score
I wonder if anyone has any insight on this. I mash in a 5 gallon cooler with a bag (to make it easy to clean up). I usually mash with 1.33 Q per pound, then sparge with enough to get my boil volume after calculating the absorption loss (usually .1 gallon per pound).

For instance, last batch was 5.68 lbs, which is about 7.5 Q. I should have sparged with 2.5 gallons, which would get me about 3.75G for the boil (that's what I target).

This time, for some reason, I sparged with 2.75G, so it didn't all make it from the mash tun to the boil.

Question: Am I leaving sugar behind doing it that way? Would I get more sugars out if I used less water and drained it completely? Would I get less sugar if I used even more water?

I did come up a little shy on efficiency for this batch (not a big deal). Just trying to fine tune the process a little better. Any insight?

If you're batch sparging, yes you are leaving sugar behind. If you're fly sparging, not really. When you fly sparge, the heavier liquid (with the sugar in it) goes to the bottom and the lighter liquid is floated on top of that (think of one of those "chick" shots that the bars sell, like a B-52. the heavier liquid is on the bottom and the lighter liquid is on the top).

All said, then you batch sparge, use only the water that is going into your boil. When you fly sparge, use enough water to maintain that golden 1 to 2 inches of water above the grain bed.

I would think if you just drained the whole sparge into the boil, it's only going to increase pre-boil volume by a quarter gallon or so... which should have a minuscule effect on bittering.. throw in an extra half-pellet if you want ;). Worst case, you end up with a quarter gallon more than you can fit in the fermenter and you end up tossing it or experimenting on it... :)

Am I missing something? I've been away from brewing for too long for my brain to work.

If you leave water behind, it stands to reason that you leave the sugar dissolved in that water behind. I always only sparge with the volume that makes my pre-boil volume correct. That said, 1 quart should not affect your gravity by much.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I always use .25-.50 gallons more than called for, even counting absorption. I hit all my numbers and last Sunday got .004 points over my intended OG (still within style specs). I use the leftover wort to use in starters or as priming solution. Just started doing this about 4 batches ago.

Why does mashing with a bag make for easier clean up? I take my tun and simply dump it out, then hose it off. 2 minutes max. I dread cleaning my mesh bags. All the junk gets stuck in the holes.

Why does mashing with a bag make for easier clean up? I take my tun and simply dump it out, then hose it off. 2 minutes max. I dread cleaning my mesh bags. All the junk gets stuck in the holes.

I pull the bag out, then walk over to the trash. Put the bag deep I. The trash and turn it inside out. Brush off the grain and then rinse it.

It's less frustrating to me that way. To each his own.

I would think if you just drained the whole sparge into the boil, it's only going to increase pre-boil volume by a quarter gallon or so... which should have a minuscule effect on bittering.. throw in an extra half-pellet if you want ;). Worst case, you end up with a quarter gallon more than you can fit in the fermenter and you end up tossing it or experimenting on it... :)

Am I missing something? I've been away from brewing for too long for my brain to work.

You're missing what I didn't explain. The capacity of the pot is the limiting factor. I can't go over 3.8 gallons without boiling over. I can control it under that. 4 gallon pot. Otherwise You're right. I would do like you said and just have a bigger batch.

If you're batch sparging, yes you are leaving sugar behind. If you're fly sparging, not really. When you fly sparge, the heavier liquid (with the sugar in it) goes to the bottom and the lighter liquid is floated on top of that (think of one of those "chick" shots that the bars sell, like a B-52. the heavier liquid is on the bottom and the lighter liquid is on the top).

All said, then you batch sparge, use only the water that is going into your boil. When you fly sparge, use enough water to maintain that golden 1 to 2 inches of water above the grain bed.

That's what I was looking for. Good answer. I wasn't understanding why fly sparging works that way. Thanks!!

Keep some DME on hand... if you fall a bit short, make it up with DME. Sure, there's no need to obsess over gravity, but there's no need not to just make it up with DME and hit the intended mark ether. Works great and won't change the flavor of the beer.

Latest posts

Back