An early Spring is great and all...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeg

Reaction score
An early Spring is great and all...

...but it's really messing with my brewing plans. About a month ago, I picked up the ingredients for a Kölsch partial mash. Got a vial of WLP029 Kölsch yeast and figured that I could keep it at about 62°F in an unpowered fridge in the garage, using hot water bottles to keep the temp up for a few days, then move it to the 66°F closet once the fermentation slowed. Had it all figured out.

Also had a stout in the carboy, so had to let that finish and bottle. Going to do that tomorrow.

However, it's been 85°F outside all week and the garage gets up near there, and we've gone from heating the house to A/C, so the closet is now more like 72°F.

So... I guess I'm either in for a lot of frozen bottle-swapping (assuming I can even keep the fridge cold enough in the garage that way) or shelling out for a temp controller. Obviously i'd like one of those, but the various expenses are starting to raise eyebrows and another $80 is not going to help!

Anyway, anyone else dealing with this? I'm mostly just venting I suppose. I'll figure something out.. maybe buy a shovel and dig a brew cave in the back yard.

I feel your pain. I have different problems, but the early spring is putting a kink in my brew schedule as well.

EBay controller?

Or better off don't worry about it. Have a beer and brew a beer. You entering in a contest? If not it wont make enough of a difference. Best beer I ever did fermented at 90+, in the kitchen, in front of the window. (Pumpkin ale, don't ask why)

My recommendation: get a $5 outlet timer and fiddle with it until you have the fridge popping on and off enough to where it sits around 55. Once you get your fermenter in there, things should equal out. Also a couple water bottles help keep equilibrium.

Or bank on the cold spell that is definitely coming. Winter isn't done yet!

I just did a Kölsch partial mash. I live in Texas so a temp controller is essential - for lagers and ales. Never hurts to invest. Once you go all-grain, $70 for the controller is a drop in the bucket compared to Brutus setups.

Thanks for the replies. I may go for the timer trick and see how it fares, and if not, just do the best I can and see what comes out. As I understand it, "beer" is the likely result. :mug: (At least a 40° cold conditioning stage should be easy to achieve.)

Latest posts

Back