An American Rye Barleywine Recipe...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProblemChild

Reaction score
Hi All,

Looking for input on my most recent recipe for an American Barley Wine. - 5.75 gal batch, 1.104 gravity est

16 lb Maris Otter
3.5 Lb Rimrock Rye (Vienna) from Mecca Grade
1.25 lb Crystal 60L
1.0 lb Mealnoiden
.375 lb Special B

1 lb invert sugar from Demerara sugar - caramelized to 20L (late boil addition @ 10 min)

90 min boil

Hops:
2 oz Galena @ 60
2 oz Chinook @ 10
4 oz Comet @ 5

yeast: WY1028

Dry Hop - 5 days before packaging, 4 oz Comet hops

Thoughts?

Looks yummy, love the rye inclusion!

You're adding the Melanoidins instead of boiling the wort for 3+ hours?
Using a reiterative mash? Partigyle and use the 2nd runnings for a smaller beer?

Looks yummy, love the rye inclusion!

You're adding the Melanoidins instead of boiling the wort for 3+ hours?
Using a reiterative mash? Partigyle and use the 2nd runnings for a smaller beer?

Got lazy and only want to do a 90 min boil - so yeah, cheated a little there with the Melanoiden. Have done a few lbs of Munich before as well and that works amazing.

I have done rye a few times and it is incredible with a rich malt flavor and tons of hops - a whole other dimension is there. Pretty much a full-time part of any barley wine I will ever do going forward.

What is reiterative mash? I do a continuous re-circulation of that is what you mean. As far as the partigyle, I need to start doing that with my big beers. Simply a crime to waste that left over wort still hanging around in the mash tun.

Last edited:
Got lazy and only want to do a 90 min boil - so yeah, cheated a little there with the Melanoiden. Have done a few lbs of Munich before as well and that works amazing.

I have done rye a few times and it is amazing with a rich malt flavor and tons of hops - a whole other dimension is there. Pretty much a full-time part of any barley wine I will ever do going forward.

What is reiterative mash? I do a continuous re-circulation of that is what you mean. As far as the partigyle, I need to start doing that with my big beers. Simply a crime to waste that left over wort still hanging around in the mash tun.

Reiterative mash = mashing twice, the second time in the wort from the first mash.

Reiterative is mashing using first runnings from the previous mash instead of water to reach higher gravities. Usually done when the mash tun is too small to hold all the grain at once, or to get ultra high gravities. Look at this guy trying to do a 1.164 Barleywine that way:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/...leywine-17-oak-galaxy-hops-100-bottle.662713/

You basically get a free (session or stronger) beer from 2nd (and 3rd) runnings, that you can drink while the big one matures. A primer to your main event.

Latest posts

Back