An absolute load of sediment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James2008

Reaction score
This is the pumpkin north american brew kit for 1 gallon.
It is 1lb of 6 row, specialty grains, liquid malt extract. Seasonal spices and whatver hops come with the kit. Just 1 addition at 45 min. And 3/4lb of pure cooked pureed pumpkin.

I added all grains, and pumpkin together in a biab. steeped for 1 hour at 160. Then removed grains, brought up to boiling temp, removed pot from heat, added liquid extract, brought it back up to a boil. Added hops, timed boil for 45 min. Then added spices at flame out.

I ended up with a perfect 1 gallon amount diddnt have to add any extra water..
I use a fine mesh strainer when transferring into fermenter. I aerated wort, then put the yeast in.
It's been 1.5 weeks. High krousen has fallen about half a week ago. Still some fermenting signs going on, fermentation temp is 70F.
I did not bother with OG or FG.
So why is there like 6 inches of sediment at the bottom of my fermenter. I know trub is normal but this is such a huge amount I've never seen this much. Could the real pumpkin cause this?
What could be some negative side effects?
20190910_201253.jpg

Attachments

• 20190910_201219.jpg
    20190910_201219.jpg
    870.9 KB · Views: 64
Yeah I would guess you got a lot of trub because of the pumpkin. Looks normal to me. And the only side effect would be a little less finished beer than you were expecting.

Back