Amount of yeast harvested

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2BeerOrNot2Beer

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,

Just looking for a general quickie answer here, all variables aside, when I do a typical 1.050 beer, 5 gallon batch, cal ale yeast, how much should I expect to harvest once I rack the beer off the cake and proceed using the general method - I.e adding .5 gallons of boiled and cooled water, slosh around, pour into sanitized jar, let trouble settle for approx. half hour, decant into another jar.

Right now I seem to only get around 100 ml of yeast from harvesting, and I feel like I should be getting more. What is the typical amount of yeast that should be harvested?

Thanks,
Jake

* let trub settle ( at room temp)

And I do a starter for each batch based on jamils yeast calculator.

Thnx

Everyone is different. It depends on how much trub you transfer from the kettle to the fermenter.

I no longer add any water. I just swirl up the trub and pour into pint mason jars. I get 3 to 4 jars full from a 7 gallon batch.

Regardless of the trub, you need about a quarter of the cake for a new beer of the same gravity. If I'm making the beer within a couple of weeks I just toss in one jar of the slurry (do not worry about washing it).

Back