Amount of spices for cyser (schramm's fall's bounty)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sol_Om_On

Reaction score
Hi all! Just made a batch of the above mentioned cyser, 5 liters (1,3 gallons) of it. In the recipe Schramm recommends cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves, just 1 tsp of the first two and three cloves for 5 gallons, not sure of if others would agree with this and no time specified so thought I would ask you experts :)

I will not use ground cinnamon but pieces of it, and nutmeg I will grind myself. How much of each three spices would you suggest and approximately how long contact time? Thanks!

This might be useful for you: https://denardbrewing.com/blog/post/Spices/

Based on that, i'd go with 1 cinnamon stick, 1 crushed nutmeg nut and 1 clove.

I've never had that mead myself so i'm not sure how intense the flavors are but i'd say go with the above to start with. you can always add more later if you feel like it doesn't have enough spice (i've done this several times with various spices/fruit additions).

As for how long to leave it on the spices... a few weeks is probably all it needs. I'd take a taste test after 2 weeks and see how it's progressed. If it gets too strong, racking into another carboy or bottling and aging will reduce the intensity of the spices too.

Back