American Wheat with Citra or Hallertau?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoveMaine

Reaction score
Brewing an American Wheat with honey/lemon adjuncts. I want the citrus/fruit profile of the Citra, but not overly bitter.

Would a 50/50 mix in the last 15 minutes work, or for this style beer is one preferred over the other?

I would go with Citra which should give you more of the fruity citrus aroma you are looking for if you add it for the last 15 mins. What are you bittering with? Maybe use the Hallertau as your bittering addition since they are a much lower Alpha Acid than Citra.

For an American wheat I'd definitely pick the Citra. Add it in later to keep the ibu's low.

I always like a blend, even if intending to showcase one hop. I'd do a 2:1 or 3:1 Citra/Hallertau blend at each of your planned addition times.

Citra is a distinct and powerful hop. It would be a waste to try the hallertau as you're not likely to notice it's contribution if the citra is added late as it should be.

Just finished off the last of a similar beer I did. I used Amarillo to bitter and Citra for aroma. It came out really citrussy, tasted almost like a Shandy or what I remember SA summer ale tasting like. I'm not a huge fan of either so I prefer hallertau, but my friends liked the Amarillo/Citra combo a lot

Back