American Wheat - Temp Control Challenges

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mintermill

Reaction score
Relatively new home brewer here. I started doing 3 gal BIAB batches a few months ago and yesterday brewed an American Wheat. I may not have chilled the wort enough (approximately 75 degrees) prior to pitching Wyeast 1010. After a couple of hours in the carboy, the brew was bubbling along with good krausen developing, but the fermometer was reading out at 78 degrees.

I tried cooling with a cool wet towel and a fan, which worked temporarily to bring it down to 74 degrees but when I checked in the morning the fermometer was back up to 78 (and I'd imagine the beer was even warmer than that). So I took it down to the basement with an ambient temp of about 60 degrees.

When I got home from work I checked in on it and the fermometer reads out at 62-64. Wyeast claims that the yeast can go down to 58, but I'm seeing no signs of movement inside the carboy.

So what's the deal? Did I somehow stun the yeast? Seems unlikely but the beer is behaving wildly differently. I would expect some slowing given the cooler temp but I'm a little worried since it has stopped all together.

Any insights appreciated.

Back