American Wheat conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raisoshi

Reaction score
I know it's a common saying "wheat beers are best consumed young" and actually agree with that for Hefeweizens, but I always assumed it was because of the yeast and the esters changing negatively with time.

I usually cold condition my beers after secondary(2-3 days after FG is reached) for at least a month in the keg, otherwise it usually tastes green.

I brewed a 1.043 22 IBUs American Wheat yesterday and was thinking whether cold conditioning for a month before consuming is worth it, or is the wheat itselff the reason hefeweizens are best consumed fresh? It had 40% wheat and is fermenting with a wlp001 equivalent from a lab here in Brazil.

IMO they don't gain anything by aging and taste best fresh. I'm usually drinking my American wheats by 2.5 to 3 wks.

I agree I sort of expect my wheats to be cloudy, unless you're going for an Americanized krystal weizen style I guess. I never use gelatin myself so can't really comment how it would change the beer other than clarity.

You could, but there's really no point. Wheat beers are cloudy, and even gelatin won't clear them so just skip it and enjoy!.

I think it's a matter of preference.

American wheat beers can be fairly clear (e.g. Oberon). I've got one in bottles now that is quite clear - probably the clearest beer I brewed before starting to use gelatin. Grain bill was over 50% wheat and it's nice and crisp!

I see, I think I'm going to use the gelatin, to avoid the muddy pints in the keg if anything.

This was my first time using a false bottom and the wort was really clear even if it had wheat in it, I think I want that.

Keep in mind that wheat beers are meant to be cloudy, they have lots of protein (aka gluten) in them and when you cold crash or fine them you're losing a bit of that flavor. If the wheat beer ain't cloudy, it ain't a good wheat beer, in my opinion.

Back