American wheat carbonation help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zero_gabe

Reaction score
So I made an american wheat ale with massive amounts of hops. My problem is I am clueless as to what level i should carbonate this beer at. Should i carb up to high such as german wheat beers or lower level like american ales? Thanks for your help guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

My personal opinion is if this is for your own consumption carb it at whatever level you like. I did a blueberry wheat ale not too long ago and carbed at the German Wheat Beer: 3.3 - 4.5 volumes and it was mighty fine!

I like my bottled beers carbed about the same- a typical amount that you'd find in an American beer, generally about 2.4 volumes.

If you're kegging and you like spritzy fizzy wheats (I do not, except for saison) then you can carb it up however you like but if you're bottling I would be very hesitant to do that as beer that foams out and over the bottle when you open it is not fun, and neither are bottle bombs.

I totally agree with you that it really does depend on my liking. Ill try to shoot for 2.7-3 at first an then adjust from there. Thanks guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back