American Wheat Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeyClem

Reaction score
Hello!

So I decided today that I really would like to brew a 5 gallon batch for a vacation I am taking in just under 3 weeks. Realistically, I'll probably need something that can go from brewing (partial mash) to ready (bottle conditioned) in about 3 weeks. I am thinking of brewing an American Wheat using Wyeast 1010. I'm still working out the hops (and need to see what they HBS has this afternoon), but here is the grain bill I am planning to use:

30% Pilsen Light
30% 2-row
30% Wheat
10% Vienna

Does anyone have any suggestions for the yeast or grain? I am hoping to do about 7-10 days (hopefully closer to 7) in the primary and then 10-14 bottle conditioning.

My only suggestion is use a lower efficiency then normal. I just brewed a batch of all wheat and then a 50-50 wheat two row and my efficiency dropped to 60 percent. I was using rahr white wheat malt.

This beer will likely not be ready in 3 weeks and even if its carbed it will probably not taste very good. Rushing beer NEVER does it favors. Plan ahead or go without.

As for recipe.

Just go with 2 row and wheat.. 50/50 or my preference is 60(wheat)/40(2row). If you are trying to use up pils, then keep it there. I'd drop the vienna all together and use some crystal or cara malt for added character and unfermentable sugar-5-7.5% is IMO a good place to be.

If you're trying to turn a beer around fast this is IMO a good style to pick. I've done it in 3 wks a number of times with good results, but that is kegging. These were all with 1010, ferments pretty fast but I always work with starters. You could probably bottle by 10 days if you pitch good healthy yeast (confirm with readings of course).

For the grainbill I also like around a 50/50 mix wheat and 2-row. I don't have any problems with efficiency using Great Western white wheat but I do pay attention to crush and run the wheat through separately.

My only suggestion is use a lower efficiency then normal. I just brewed a batch of all wheat and then a 50-50 wheat two row and my efficiency dropped to 60 percent. I was using rahr white wheat malt.

My recent Hefe grain bill:

Wheat Malt 12.0 lb 50 %
Vienna Malt 5.0 lb 20 %
Pilsen Malt 5.0 lb 20 %
Caramunich3 0.5 lb 2 %
Wheat, Flaked 0.5 lb 2 %
Oats, Flaked 0.5 lb 2 %
Acidulated Malt 0.5 lb 2 %

My efficiency ended up far above anticipated so a 1.056 hefe became 1.062 >.<

If you're not married to brewing a hefe you could also consider making a low to mid gravity EPA or bitter and pitch S-04. It can give you a pretty quick turnaround.

If you're not married to brewing a hefe you could also consider making a low to mid gravity EPA or bitter and pitch S-04. It can give you a pretty quick turnaround.

A low gravity Wit would be a quick turnaround beer as well.

Thanks for all the feedback! So I ended up going with the wheat... The grain bill is:

2.3 lbs golden light LME (the HBS has no pilsen light and no golden light dry, so I made some adjustments to make this work)
3.0 lbs 2-row
3.0 lbs malted white wheat
1.0 lb Vienna

I am going to bitter with magnum and use cascade and willamette for aroma (I wanted to make something that will have some hoppiness for me to enjoy but be mild enough for others as well). I also decided to brew today instead of waiting until I get back from camping for the 4th, which means I will have 4 full weeks and I think I should be fine. OG I'm going for is 51. This was really made possible by my brother in law because he apparently had an old Snapple fridge sitting in his garage so I was able to take that to control the temp while I am away. I was originally concerned that if I left it in my warm apartment and wasn't there to ice it that it would ferment way too warm, so I thought I'd have to wait until I came home.

Thanks again!

Back