American Style Belgian Tripel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kb8607

Reaction score
I have this mashing right now and I'm wondering if anyone has tried anything similar. I make a Belgian Triple of some sort every fall and this year I have a 55 lb sack of domestic 2 row on my hands. I decided to replace Belgian pilsner with the 2 row. I completely realize this is not within style guidelines, but I don't really mind and just want to see how it turns out. Here is my recipe.

OG: 1.076
FG: 1.007
Color: 5.5
IBU: 26

12.5 lbs Canadian 2 row
0.5lbs Aromatic
2lbs Belgian Candi Sugar (Homemade) (Boil last 15 min)

1.5oz Saaz 60 min
1.5oz Saaz 30 min
1.0oz Saaz 15 min

2L Starter of Wyeast Trappist High Gravity 3787

Single infusion light body mash at 148 for 1:15

Planning to pitch around 67 and let warm to mid 70s.

Primarily I'm wondering if anyone has tried this with domestic 2 row and what their thoughts on the final product were. I will update in a couple months once I taste it.

Jamil recommends pitching at 64 and ramping up one * F per day for a week. He also stresses the necessity of a good base grain, but only recommends 4 oz aromatic. Maybe your extra 4 oz will ballance the blandness of NA 2Row.

After three weeks sitting in the primary I took the first gravity reading and sample today. Got down to 1.006. The sample really was pretty outstanding. I didn't know what to expect with the NA 2-row as a base, but it tastes amazing. Great fruity esters from the 3787. I can't wait to get this cold crashed and kegged and see how it is carbed. I'm pretty surprised that I'm not getting much of an alcohol bite after only three weeks as well.

I think I'm going to leave it in the primary and put it in the keezer and crash it for a good week or two before transferring to a keg. Should be drinking this one around Christmas.

Back