American pale ale fermentation and Gravity issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T29

Wicked Hops Brewing
Reaction score
Hi

I did a new batch of American pale ale with safale 05 yeast. 4lb of DME and Caramel specialty grains for a 3.5gal batch. it's been fermenting for 5 days now at 68F - 70F. My issue is that i did the OG and it was at 1.064 and 3 days later i checked because it had stopped fermenting so i gave her a swirl and it had started up again. i did a gravity test 2 days ago out of curiosity and it was at 1.026 and obviously it hadent stopped fermenting. With the swirl she jumped back into action and it started again and now it has a light brown foam with bubbles on the top, so i took another reading and she is down to G: 1.010 and she tastes pretty damn good. so all in all, my question is, do i wait another week for it to continue to ferment as the gravity will come down to nothing as the sugars leave or is this batch done and ready to go?

I made some mistakes yes of course i probably did. new to this and a bit excited as its one of the best tasting batches ive made.

You should wait at least another week for the yeast to clean up their byproducts and to let the beer clear up a bit before bottling. It may be done fermenting, yes, but beer will improve in quality by letting it go 1-3 weeks longer in the fermenter after it reaches final gravity. All my ales get a 21 day fermentation regardless of if they finish after 7 days or not.

I'll let it sit for another week or so, thank you. . Will i have to add more yeast come bottling time with the priming sugar and Gravity level so low already?.

I'll let it sit for another week or so, thank you. . Will i have to add more yeast come bottling time with the priming sugar and Gravity level so low already?.

No you will not have to add more yeast. There are MILLIONS still in suspension after a 21 day fermentation. Also once the beer finishes fermenting it is done. It will not continue to ferment it lower if you let it sit another week or 2. Enjoy! :mug:

How did you know it was "done fermenting?" Usually I determine this by a stable FG reading a few days in a row. Just because you don't have airlock bubbles doesn't mean it isn't fermenting.

usually in the carboy you can see it fermenting and compared to my other brews it was not doing anything so i assumed. all in all the beer still tastes great so far and im sure it will still turn out the way i want. Hopefully lol

usually in the carboy you can see it fermenting and compared to my other brews it was not doing anything so i assumed. all in all the beer still tastes great so far and im sure it will still turn out the way i want. Hopefully lol

Seeing activity in the carboy and bubbles in the air lock is not the only indication of fermentation. Most beer will look like it's done 1-7 days before it actually stops. I did a Belgian Dubbel once with Trappist Yeast that took 18 days to finish fermenting.

She is still sitting at a good temp, no bubbles but i know its working. will be taking a Gravity reading tomorrow and see how shes doing and hopefully soon ready to bottle.

It had a great taste when i took the last G reading. can't wait

Back