American Barleywine Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
Working up an American barleywine recipe and contemplating what hop(s) to use and how I’d like to use them. It seems an aroma/dry hop addition is about pointless as by the time the first one is cracked open in 9-12 months that will have likely faded away.

So I’m considering a flavor addition coupled with a whirlpool (unless it’s shown one has better staying power for the duration). I don’t want citrusy or fruity. Initially I thought I’d want something along the lines of Santiam, Perle, or Palisade, but now I’m wondering if something else like Bravo or Columbus would be better.

I had also initially figured I’d use 1/2 oz of Warrior as a first wort hop addition, but I’m not so sure that would give it enough of the hop bitterness the style seems to demand, though the few commercial versions I’ve had I wouldn’t exactly call all that bitter per se.

So what hops would you use and when would you use them yourself?

Latest posts

Back