Ambient vs water bath temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Squad1Guy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have been fermenting my robust porter for 4 days now and I have a question . For most of the time it has been fermenting, the water bath has been between 65 and 72 degrees. When you are talking about AMBIENT temps I know the 70s are a bit high (I am using S-05). But since it is in the water bath, the wort temp will be the same as the bath temp. Any foreseeable issues? (Other than some potential fruity esters...I know that could have occurred but I don't think it will be a big issue for this recipe - Vanilla Bourbon Porter)

Thanks!

after the first 12-24 hrs the temperature is not as critical as long as it's not really high.

Hello, On most of my brews I use a swamp cooler (water bath) to help stabilize fermentation temps.

The wort temp wont be the same temp as the water, I have found that during vigorous fermentation the temp of my brews are about 5 to 7 deg warmer than the water and after vigorous fermentation the brew temp is about 2 deg warmer than the water temp.

I think you'll be ok since you are using us-05, at worst some fruity esters and or fusel alcohol.

Cheers :mug:

I always assume the water bath and wort temp are pretty close, if it has been fermenting four days the majority of fermentation is done and temp is not that critical and you can remove it from the water bath IMO. Best to start the fermentation on the lower side and let it warm up a bit as fermentation progresses, rather than starting high and lowering the temp.

If you were at the mid sixties at the onset of fermentation, you are likely fine. As I understand it, the most temp critical phase is the initial fermentation up to high krausen / krausen falling, at that point the yeast flavor profile is more or less set.

My water bath is at the same level as the beer in a carboy, and it runs as much as .5 -.8° C warmer than the beer temperature as measured with a thermowell.

It’s a safe bet to figure 1° F for very active fermentation.

Latest posts

Back