ambient temps for wlp001 and s05

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackbeer

Reaction score
going to be using these two in upcoming batches of IPA, stout, american wheat, porter, etc. my basement is a steady 59 and my upstairs is 64-68 depending on time of day. i have fermented 1056 upstairs and have had some fusel tastes in beers with OG around 1060. last year i used all s05 and did all batches in basement and they came out great. this years beers will be between 1050 and 1.100.

on the s05 packs it says ideal is 59-71 and the wlp001 is 65-69. given the difference between fermentation temp and ambient temp being 7-8 degrees, are these temps listed on the packs wort temp or ambient temp?

That's wort temp. I'd start it in the basement, let it free rise to 62-64 or whatever then as soon as activity slows, take it upstairs.

Oh, and I'd only do that with the 001 - some say 05 can get "peachy" if fermented at the low end of the temp range.

If upstairs stays in the mid 60s, put your fermenter in one of those giant rope handle tubs filled with water. the large volume of water will cool your fermentation to room temp. You could use the same setup in the basement with an aquarium heater and a temp controller and get more exact control.

Back