Amber DME for yeast starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjcavitt

Reaction score
I am doing a Moose Drool clone and thought about making the yeast starter using Amber DME instead of the light. I know the OG should be the same but am wondering if this would help or hurt a darker beer.

Thoughts?

In a dark beer, you'd never notice the colour. If you're feeling really picky, you can let the starter ferment out...chill...decant the spent wort...warm yeast slurry to pitching temperature...watch them little monsters make a great brown ale!

100 grams DME + 1 litre water = Kick ass starter

What goodgod said. If you were making a cream ale, or some kind of yellow fizzy stuff, you'd want to use light DME. even then, I don't know if it would make such a difference. I always just pitch the whole starter and not give a snot. I want the taste of my beer to be good, not the color being close to a guideline.

Go for it, sometimes my LHBS sells the darker malt extracts cheap due to so many people getting into extra light + steeping grains. I usually buy it for the sole purpose of starter making.

Made the yeast starter using the amber DME and will brew tomorrow. Just bought a new Barley Crusher so this will be the maiden voyage with a "fresh" crush." Thanks for your suggestions and tips.

I sometimes take a few sips of the spent starter wort to check out the characteristics of a new yeast. Not from the flask though ;) That would immediately turn it into some sort of house blend...not recommended.

Back