Amarillo Wildflower IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gregscsu

Reaction score
This is a new recipe I put together. Just looking for some input.

Grains/Honey
6.0 Rahr 2-Row Malt
0.875 Briess Caramel 60L
0.125 Gambrinus Honey Malt
2.9375 Wildflower Honey - Kicker
9.9375 Lbs Total

Hops
0.50oz - Amarillo FWH
1.00oz - Magnum 60 min
0.60oz - Amarillo 20 min
0.75oz - Cascade 10 min
0.75oz - Amarillo 2 min
0.75oz - Amarillo Dry

5.5 gallons
OG 1.063
IBUs 60.4
SRM 9
WY1056 @ 62*F

Mash at 156*F for 60min - I am mashing at this temp to counteract the drying effect of the honey and leave a little residual sweetness left after fermentation.
I am just guessing at this mash temp so any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks for all the help.

Greg

interesting technique of mashing high to counteract the dryness of the honey, but I would still be worried about adding almost 3 lbs of honey to comprise about 30% of your malt bill. Maybe 2 lbs would be a better first attempt at this recipe, and you could go 3 lbs for the next one?

I like the hop schedule though, you can't beat amarillo on the dry hop. I also think you have the right amount of honey malt, I've ruined a pale ale by putting half a pound of it in there....its definitely strong stuff.

I just calculated the FG accounting for the honey being 100% fermentable.
Should finish at about 1.010 and approximately 7% ABV.

I probably should have mentioned that I get 90% efficiency so 230 points from the grains and another 120 from the honey, for a total of 350 points.
Subtract 120 because the honey will ferment out completely.
So 230 points multiplied by 0.25 for 75% attenuation of the grain sugars, which leaves us with 57.5 poiints devided by the recipe volume of 5.5 gallons, gives us FG of 1.01045.
With the Honey that would be about 85% AA.
Some one please check my work, I may have messed something up.

I get 85-90% with a great crush in a 10gal round rubbermaid. With a good but not great crush I get 75%... I'll stick with the great crush in the future (not that 75% isn't a solid crush, but $ speaks :p)

(batch sparging)

Do you really get 90% efficiency? How do you do that and what type of tun do you have?
That's awesome. :mug:

Fly Sparging.

I will most likely get over 90% efficiency on this batch but I just calculated it a 90% for the recipe.

On my most recent batch, a SNPA clone I got 90.78% effeciency.

Back