Amarillo Imperial IPA in the fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick500

Reaction score
Undershot my intended SG by 7 points, but it's still 1.093. :ban:

Hydro sample tasted awesome. Expecting good things!

19 lbs 2-row
14 oz crystal 40
1.3 lbs corn sugar
...and a little over 10 oz of Amarillo

I think this is the first time I hit pitching my yeast starter at exactly the right time -- high krausen. That Cal Ale yeast was going crazy.

The recipe's in Brew Builder on BMW if anyone's interested. :mug:

I didnt make the imperial, but i did do the all ammarillo thats in the recipe section here on the forum. I tasted yesterday only two weeks in the bottle and it was freakin awesome! let us know how this one turns out, I would like to give it a try.:rockin:

Interested in how this one turns out. I do love Amarillo but I have never done a single hopping with Amarillo and have always used Simcoe, Columbus, Centennial, etc. in conjunction with it. Montanaandy

Just dry hopped it.

Those WLP001 did their thing with no special encouragement (love those little guys)! 1.019 after 16 days in the fermenter, so 9.7% abv so far.

The hydro sample was awesome! Still a little more alcohol warmth than I'd like, but it's warm and flat and has 7-10 days to go, so I'm expecting great things!

Just kegged it and started carbing it.

Very tasty! This recipe is definitely a keeper.

I'm not even tempted to tweak anything...that's a first. :mug:

I moved from a 5 gal MLT to a 12 gal Ice Cube MLT this weekend, so hope to try a large beer like this soon. I did attempt a Bell Two-hearted clone with Amarillo rather than Centennial. It's a good one. On a side note, I used my new MLT to split 12 gal of wort into two 6 gal boils this past Friday. It was a 8 hour brew day, but was able to two ales with the same wort on different hop schedules and yeast strain. I'm hoping to do a lot of experimentation in the future.

My biggest learning from this beer is that a 1.100 (planned) OG gets you a lower efficiency. I'll plan on my efficiency being a few points lower on a huge beer like this in the future.

And... Here it is!

It's a keeper.

a0f5f6df.jpg

Latest posts

Back