Amarillo Hops - crop year quality

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elproducto

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I stopped using Amarillo hops because they just weren't great like they were 10 years ago. Has anyone used Amarillo recently? How are they?

I used a lot of them on a beer I made in February, but it was the first time I have ever used them so I’m not much help other than to say I had no complaints with flavor or aroma.

I'm still drinking the second keg of a WCIPA brewed in April using Amarillo (and Cascade and El Dorado). Didn't notice anything off at any point from measuring them out for the kettle to the pour I had last night :)

Cheers!

Drinking this HB Amarillo single hop (Warrior for bittering). It’s a nice WCIPA. No Amarillo in the boil, just FO, WP and DH.
1690712711819.jpeg

I brewed an Amarillo SMaSH and didn't really care for it, especially compared to other hops like Saaz, Cascade, Tettnanger, etc. Ultimately I found its only value is as an aroma hop at flameout, and I guess that is how I would use up any marginal hop.

I brewed an Amarillo SMaSH and didn't really care for it, especially compared to other hops like Saaz, Cascade, Tettnanger, etc. Ultimately I found its only value is as an aroma hop at flameout, and I guess that is how I would use up any marginal
I brewed an Amarillo SMaSH and didn't really care for it, especially compared to other hops like Saaz, Cascade, Tettnanger, etc. Ultimately I found its only value is as an aroma hop at flameout, and I guess that is how I would use up any marginal hop.
Did you boil them?

I regularly make a nice amber ale with Cascade (@60, @10, and @dry-hop 2 days before bottling). It's always got a nice aroma of orange. Anyways, I read that Amarillo has even more orange-notes, so made the usual recipe, but added Amarillo to the dry-hop... Turns out, I really hate Amarillo, smells like cat-piss and pine-sol. 💩 💩 💩

Back