Amarillo and Mosaic IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowdocbrewer

Reaction score
Hey all,

Wondered if anyone could review this IPA recipe? Thanks!

12.5# Pale Malt, 1.5#biscuit, 1# crystal 60L. Mash at 152F for an hour, basic batch sparse.
1 oz Columbus fwh, 1 oz each Amarillo and mosaic at 20, 10 and flame out. Dry hop 1 oz of each for 7 days. WL001 2L starter

Looks good to me. Right up my alley. I might do a lower crystal, but that is just a personal preference.

Thanks!

I didn't want that much 60L, but I was day dreaming when I measured it out and didn't realize until I'd run it through the mill. It's VERY red; completely incorrect to call it an India red ale? I bumped the Columbus up to 2oz and boiled for 90 mins to try to take some caramel away from the 60L.

Very good! Great citrus-grapefruit aroma, fruity hop flavor, balanced bitterness. Deep red in color. Very little to no head retention; will brew it again but drop. Down the 60L and add some catapults. Will send a picture this weekend.

Have considered adding citra or swapping the mosaic for simcoe.....

Hi, what do you mean "boil 90 minutes to take caramel away from the 60?" Boiling longer adds caramelization. What am I missing here?

Back