Am I right or am I wrong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OhCrap

Reaction score
I Kegged ncbeernut's deception cream stout on Tuesday night. I primed using sugar. The beer was at 19c when I primed so used calculator to figure out how much etc. I used a 20l sanke keg with 19 litres beer, leaving 1litre headspace, I left it in ferm chamber at 20c. This morning I moved it and put it on beer gas . It is now stored in 9/10c ambient temp. I am in no rush with this brew, want it for Christmas time. Am I right to leave it at that temp on beer gas for 2 wks then take off the gas and store until I can't wait any longer? By the way I had a wee sample of it and man it is already nice,a little green but nice...

After only four days, I'd guess that most of your priming sugar is still, well, sugar. And at the low temperature, it will stay that way. I'd have just purged the head space and put it on gas at serving pressure for a couple of weeks. No need to prime.

I would just let it carb up fully. There is no way that it was carbonated from Tuesday. Give it another week or two, then put it on beer gas or regular CO2.

Thanks for the advice I realise it hasn't card's fully yet, but do I leave it on gas at that temp or take it off and warn up

Did you check to see how much it got carbed from the 4 days with the priming sugar? i would think that it would need more time....

I would let it finish carbing with the priming sugar first then put it back on the beer gas.

Thanks for the advice I realise it hasn't card's fully yet, but do I leave it on gas at that temp or take it off and warn up

I think you're asking how you should store it, not whether it's carbed, right? If so, it doesn't really matter. Just know that if you carb it cold, and let it warm up, you'll need to let it cool back down fully before serving, as the pressure will increase and you'll get nothing but foam.

I think you're asking how you should store it, not whether it's carbed, right? If so, it doesn't really matter. Just know that if you carb it cold, and let it warm up, you'll need to let it cool back down fully before serving, as the pressure will increase and you'll get nothing but foam.

Thanks lads
Ok so I'll take it off the gas and leave it till I'm ready to serve. I'm running it through a cooler (corneilious maxi 310) so if I let cool for a day or so I should be ok. Being a stout I carb'd to 1.7, I had a sample earlier and although it a bit green it seems to be getting there :)

I'm about to keg this same recipe. I can't believe how chocolaty it is. I'd swear there was actual chocolate in there if I didn't know better.

Latest posts

Back