Am I ready?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mulliganx

Reaction score
I am going to be brewing very soon and want to make sure I have everything I need.

I purchased the Brewing Starter Kit with plastic carboy (link below)

I will be using the 5-gallon carboy included in the kit as my secondary.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/plastic-brewing-starter-kit.html

From reading on the forums it looks like it would be helpful if I purchased additional equipment shown below.

Wort Chiller
Straining Bag
Liquid Yeast
air lock?
6.5 Gallon Plastic Carboy (primary)
Bottles
Star San
Bayou Classic Aluminum Turkey Fryer Stockpot - 30 qt (brew kettle)

I will be using the ingredients from a prepackaged beer kit on midwest..

I think I have everything covered, but wanted to run this list to the forum first to double check.

Thanks

I would also include PBW. Overall it looks good check back after a few batches and see how well it went. Im sure by then you will notice you need more stuff.

Cheers

I would also include PBW. Overall it looks good check back after a few batches and see how well it went. Im sure by then you will notice you need more stuff.

Cheers

Just remember the bucket with the spigot is the bottling bucket. Looks like all you'll need beyond the kit is a large kettle (I still use the SS 5 gallon stock pot I started with) & about 2 cases of bottles. An extra 6 pack worth will handle extra bottles beyond the average 48 a 5 gallon batch gives.

Many of us have quit using secondaries for our brewing as we have found them to be unnecessary. That doesn't mean yours isn't useful, just use it for cider which can be brewed in the smaller vessel since ciders don't raise a krausen.

Wort Chiller
Straining Bag
Liquid Yeast
air lock?
6.5 Gallon Plastic Carboy (primary)
Bottles
Star San
Bayou Classic Aluminum Turkey Fryer Stockpot - 30 qt (brew kettle)

Wort chiller & 30 qt brew kettle: Depends on whether you plan to do full boils or partial boils. You can do partial boils using late extract addition - then you won't need a large pot or wort chiller. If you plan to do full boils, make sure your stove can boil that much - many stoves can't handle a full boil.

Liquid yeast: Dry yeast works well - just not as wide a selection.

Air lock: Looks like there are two in the kit.

Good luck.

A few things that aren't necessary but are very handy:

A turkey baster and cylinder for taking hydrometer samples.
Extra tubing (to leave one permanently on your siphon and another one permanently on the bottling wand.
A long spoon
A bench capper (my hand capper lasted 6 batches and quit in the middle of bottling my 7th).
A bottle washing sink adapter
A kitchen scale (for measuring hops and priming sugar).

Other things down the road:
Propane Burner
15+ gallon kettle
Mashtun (for All Grain)
Wort Chiller
Thermapen thermometer
Stir plate
ph strips
Electric Drill with Paint Stirring attachment (for aerating wort)
Kegging equipment, etc.

One thing that is excellent about this hobby is that you can do it well with fairly minimal equipment and expense, or can you splash a lot in favor of convenience and precision.

Latest posts

Back