Am I crushing the grain properly?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cata

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I just bought a new grain mill, it's and adjustable two roller. Tried it for the first time yesterday with a 0.038 gap, but I'm not sure it it's good.
Should I have more flour?
I heard that some mill the grain twice, should I do it?

Here is a photo of how my crushed grain looks like.

Cheers! 😄🍻

Attachments

• IMG_20200517_083241559.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 68
That crush looks reasonable to me. How does it look compared to the crush you were getting before (from someone else's mill)?

Looks ok to me. I ended up adjusting mine for later batches based on my efficiency and the potential for stuck sparges. I started out at 0.038 (every mill is different) and it looked perfect but I went above my expected OG and fought a stuck spare a little till I went to 0.041 which for mine worked out perfect. It is a little trial and error.

Try a batch with the mill set as it is. Does it get you decent mash efficiency? If not, adjust closer for the next batch. Repeat until you get a stuck mash, then set the mill just a little wider. The closer you can set the mill without a stuck mash the better the efficiency.

Agreed, experimentation is the way to optimization. Eventually one will figure out what a good crush looks like for their equipment.

But...keep in mind grain kernel sizes vary, and one may come across base malt that needs a tighter crush than "typical".
It happened enough that for a new-to-me malt I'll run a half pound through the mill and give it an eyeball, then adjust if needed, and record the gap used to use again with that bag on later brews...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back