Am I at risk for bottle bombs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khkman22

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm brewing the Falconer's Flight extract from AHS. It has been a fairly slow ferment and today is day 15 (brewed 12/8 ). On day 11 my son accidentally knocked off the airlock in the primary fermenter (6.5 gal bucket), so not knowing how much CO2 escaped and how much oxygen got into the fermenter within 2.5 hours, I decided to move to a secondary to dry hop.

The morning of the accident the airlock was bubbling once every 2-3 minutes. When I removed the lid before transfer, there were lots of small bubbles on top (appeared to be CO2). My gravity reading was between 1.015 and 1.016 and 1.015 is supposed to be FG. This was my first reading so I don't know if it had been stable there for a couple days or if it had just reached it that day. I haven't taken another reading since then, but it can't go lower than the target FG can it?

As of today, the airlock is still bubbling every 2.5-3 minutes. Are the little bubbles in the pictures a sign that fermentation is not done and leaving me at risk for bottle bombs? I plan on leaving it for 3-4 more days before bottling, but I just want to know if I should be concerned if they do not go away by then.

image-1026500958.jpg

image-1452682577.jpg

...I haven't taken another reading since then, but it can't go lower than the target FG can it?

As of today, the airlock is still bubbling every 2.5-3 minutes. Are the little bubbles in the pictures a sign that fermentation is not done and leaving me at risk for bottle bombs? I plan on leaving it for 3-4 more days before bottling, but I just want to know if I should be concerned if they do not go away by then.
Actually it could. Kits don't usually, but they could.

You really can't tell if the fermentation is going by the airlock. At this point it seems to me that it is more likely to be residual co2. You really need to take another gravity reading.

Also, OG was about 1.065 which was recommended to have a double pitching of yeast. I used two packages of the dry yeast. Could that have any effect on this, or does the extra yeast not matter, other than to make sure there is enough to get it going and not get stuck?

Back