Aluminum Miller Lite pint bottle reuse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

millsware

Reaction score
Okay, so has anybody seen the commercials and thought, "I might just be willing to suffer through a case of Miller Lite in order to reuse the bottles for homebrew?" I must confess that I have.

Potential Pros:
1. No need to cap.
2. Pint > 12 oz.
3. No light to skunk the beer.

Potential Cons:
1. Screwtops not sealing well enough to carb.
2. People (gasp) might think that you are actually drinking Miller Lite.
3. Chemical lining eventually wearing off and leaving metallic taste in beer.

Has anybody drank out of these yet? Do you think the cap would reseal tightly enough? Just how much muscle would it take to polish the bottle clean? Other random, thread-crashing thoughts?

Miller light is not awful. Just like club soda with a bit of beer flavor. I have seen people re-use screwcaps. I might do it once for fun on a small scale. But do not think I would re-use twice.

I think Yuri sandblasted a few of the pry-off type and painted them. Probably with some sort of electrolosis technique: ) Very cool bottles.

I'd worry about con #3 the most. I saw on "How It's Made" that the inside of the cans are just sprayed with some kind of protective laquer.
They would probably work ok, at least for a while. Go buy a single bottle/can somewhere and try it out, then give us a detailed review :)

I used 3 of these in one of my batches over the summer. 2 turned out OK but one the lid did not seal good on. I find it easier to use the plastic bottles as the caps tend to seal better.

Back