Aluminum fittings for RIMS?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stokems

Reaction score
I was wondering if it's feasable to use aluminum. People boil in it, its food grade for the most part and it sure is alot cheaper for the fittings in comparison to stainless. Any ideas or comment please?

Aluminum fittings would work fine with one caveat. Aluminum is not the most nobile of metals. If at any point they interfaced with stainless steel, galvanic corrosion may become a problem.

So if I used stainless in conjunction with the aluminum it would corrode? They do have aluminum nipples I can use specifically with this rims. What about brass or copper? The heating element couldn't be stainless then, right?

So if I used stainless in conjunction with the aluminum it would corrode? They do have aluminum nipples I can use specifically with this rims. What about brass or copper? The heating element couldn't be stainless then, right?

I would go with copper or brass fittings. The are much more nobile than aluminum. I am sure they aluminum nipples.

Back