Aluminum, Enameled, Stainless

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShadowMan

Reaction score
OK...stupid question time: I've looked through several books and here on line but I haven't seen a real answer yet. I'm putting my brewing kit together and need a brew pot. Is there any reason not to use an Aluminum pot? I've seen either Enameled or Stainless recommended. Ok, that's nice, but is there any reason not to use Aluminum?

The big disadvantage to Aluminum IMHO is that it cannot be cleaned with Oxygen based or caustic cleaners (PBW/Oxiclean/acids) and it just won't stand up to as much abuse as Stainless. Other than that it will work just fine as a brew pot.

They are all good, pros and cons to each. I would put enameled at the bottom of my list, if it chips and iron is exposed its going to leach the flavor into your beer. Aluminum will work great as will SS.

IMO, the only meaningful difference is cost. I've used all three successfully.
I started with aluminum, but had to step up when I went to full boils. The stepping up was necessary only because the old kettle wasn't big enough.
I went to enamel. After 7 years, I stepped up to SS because the enamel got chipped, and as Bensiff said, you don't want to brew with a chopped enamel kettle.
Then I went to SS, and that will last me the rest of my life.

-a.

are enameled pots the ones that are often sold as "canning" pots? I think that is what I have been using.

Exactly, buy ONE pot that will last and is big enough to step up your batch size.
That's fine in principle, but doesn't always work out in practice.
My first kettle was aluminum. It cost nothing, because I already had it before I started brewing. There was no point in paying out for a kettle that I wouldn't use for another 20 years, and if I did, the quality of the kettles you could get in the mid 1970's is pathetic compared with what you can get nowadays.
My second (enamel) kettle cost me less than $20. It was large enough for full boils, and lasted 7 years. That cost less than $3 per year.
My current kettle cost about $200. I will have to brew until I am 120 for that to be cost effective compared to the enamel.
It's also very difficult to forecast what your requirements are going to be 10 to 20 years into the future (especially if you are just starting out).

-a.

i started with an aluminum pot, used it for a while, then switched to a sanke keg for a brewpot. i still use the aluminum pot for sparge water, but that will change next brew. got a sanke built, up and running, for the hlt yesterday. dying to try it out, but i'm going to keep the aluminum pot till i get the herms built

That's fine in principle, but doesn't always work out in practice.
My first kettle was aluminum. It cost nothing, because I already had it before I started brewing. There was no point in paying out for a kettle that I wouldn't use for another 20 years, and if I did, the quality of the kettles you could get in the mid 1970's is pathetic compared with what you can get nowadays.
My second (enamel) kettle cost me less than $20. It was large enough for full boils, and lasted 7 years. That cost less than $3 per year.
My current kettle cost about $200. I will have to brew until I am 120 for that to be cost effective compared to the enamel.
It's also very difficult to forecast what your requirements are going to be 10 to 20 years into the future (especially if you are just starting out).

-a.

You didn't factor resale value into your calculations :p

Latest posts

Back