Aluminum 5# CO2 cylinder - leaking - ok ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewer3401

Reaction score
I have 2 cylinders I bought in 2002, then a 5 year pressure test was done on them in 2008

Both have a leak where the valve and cylinder meet.

One leak is a steady fine stream of CO2 - the other one makes one tiny bubble per second.

I spoke with the people twice about this, and I feel like I'm talking to a small child..........that does not speak my language.

They say they don't know what to do.

Anyone else experience small leaks ?

They should not leak there. I swap my tanks so I assume the valve is tested at filling. Is it something you can get a wrench on and try to tighten yourself?

They should not leak there. I swap my tanks so I assume the valve is tested at filling. Is it something you can get a wrench on and try to tighten yourself?

I am a little concerned about doing that - I think they have 850 psi on them or somewhere around there.

I told the guy that his company PT'd them - he didn't know PT meant pressure test.

Maybe I need to find another place to fill my cylinders.

This is a national company that I went to.

And, always at least 2 weeks past the promise date - driver on vacation, filler went down, etc.

I am a little concerned about doing that - I think they have 850 psi on them or somewhere around there.

I told the guy that his company PT'd them - he didn't know PT meant pressure test.

Maybe I need to find another place to fill my cylinders.

This is a national company that I went to.

And, always at least 2 weeks past the promise date - driver on vacation, filler went down, etc.

Yeah, might be a little hairy when they are at full pressure. When they are empty you could give it a nudge. Maybe you could take them out and reseal them when empty? If you have another option to fill, I would probably check it out.

no leak is acceptable. a fire extinguisher store might be able to help u out

Back