Altitude, spring tops, and shipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RealToast

Reaction score
Hello,

I've bottled a nice tasting pale ale using EZ-Top snap tops. Only my second batch, I slightly over primed the beer and consequently ended up a little too carbonated. The beer is good and no bottle bombs. It just requires attention at pouring.

My question, I still have half the bottles left and I want to take them up to the mountains to share with friends. This means, going from sea level to 7,000'. I'm now wondering about those spring tops and the pressure change.

Anyone have any prior experience with this? Words of caution? Words of encouragement? I'm picturing rapid-fire shootings through the back window of my car at 6,000'!

Thanks!

No clue on the altitude thing- since they're swing tops, can you pop one open to vent, re-seal, chill and see if it helps with the carb level?

CUrchin, thanks. I've done the opposite. Opened a flat bottle from my first brew, tossed some dextrose tablets in the bottle, re-capped and let sit. Worked perfectly. I'm okay with the carb level. It's not obnoxious. Just more than needed.

Thanks for the reply.

Latest posts

Back