Already having issues!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cloudybrewer

Reaction score
I finished brewing my first batch about 2 hours ago, and I already want to place an order for more ingredients! :cool: From the hours of reading on this forum, I believe everything went well, but two problems are evident: its too fun and my funds aren't sufficient for all the equipment I now realize I want!!

Thanks for all the knowledge, everyone!

I finished brewing my first batch about 2 hours ago, and I already want to place an order for more ingredients! :cool: From the hours of reading on this forum, I believe everything went well, but two problems are evident: its too fun and my funds aren't sufficient for all the equipment I now realize I want!!

Thanks for all the knowledge, everyone!

Bulk grains and hops, a hand-driven Corona mill (unless you already own a drill), cheap 8-10 gallon kettle, BIAB with a nice bag, cheap or free chest freezer off Craigslist with a hand-wired STC-1000 for temp control, couple ale pails. The equipment cost to keep 2-4 all-grain brews going at a time is probably about $150-$200, depending on the deal you get on your chest freezer. With that setup, most non-imperial, non-IPA brews can be done for $10-$20 a batch.

I won't pretend I don't wish I had a nice big automated electric brewery setup with a motorized three-roller mill, automated hop additions, hardcore single-pass chilling, a couple jacketed SS conicals with cooling and heating, and a full home yeast lab, but my beer's pretty dang good most of the time with a tenth of the equipment price tag.

Whichever route you take, welcome to the obsession!

I started brewing at the beginning of December. I have 8 batches in.

My suggestion: if you think that you're going to be in this for the long haul--and if you're already want to place an order for more ingredients, then consider purchases that will support a greater commitment down the road.

In my experience, whenever I try to cheap my way to something in a hobby, I almost always regret it. I end up buying the better quality/greater capacity/easier item later on, and regret the money I spent on the cheap item.

It's sort of like buying a gun safe--they always tell you that you should buy the next size larger than the one you think you need. And they're right. :)

I knew I could get a cheap Corona mill but also knew that I'd wish I had a better model (Cereal Killer, Barley Crusher, something like that). I gritted my teeth and went one better.

I know also that when funds are short, they're short. When that's the case people often buy the cheapest stuff they can get by with to see if they really want to continue with the hobby/passion.

I suggest you do two things: first, become friends with Craigslist. Search on beer, brew, and brewing. There are occasionally people getting out of home brewing and they sell off their setup for very reasonable prices.

As an example: https://iowacity.craigslist.org/for/5531097277.html

If you're not nearby that isn't so valuable, but there are people all over selling off parts and pieces. I'm looking at that 10-gallon brew kettle and thinking it might be worth a drive for me (it's about 75 minutes away). Plus anything else he has. :)

I found a guy selling out (small kids, no longer has time) who sold me a refrigerator, mash tun, two carboys, fastrack bottling racks, InkBird temp controller, 5-gallon kettle, bottling bucket, a bunch of 22-ounce bomber bottles, stainless spoon, hydrometer, and a bunch of other odds and ends for....$150. I sold the carboys for $25, so my net was $125. For stuff that probably is worth $400. Craigslist: worth a look, and keep at it.

Second, have patience. Items go on sale from time to time at online retailers, and you can save significant amounts (20 percent or more). A kit like this for kegging is not, IMO, all that great a deal at $149.99. At $120, though, it's a better deal.

Good luck, welcome to the obsession, and brew on!

I started brewing at the beginning of December. I have 8 batches in.

My suggestion: if you think that you're going to be in this for the long haul--and if you're already want to place an order for more ingredients, then consider purchases that will support a greater commitment down the road.

In my experience, whenever I try to cheap my way to something in a hobby, I almost always regret it. I end up buying the better quality/greater capacity/easier item later on, and regret the money I spent on the cheap item.

It's sort of like buying a gun safe--they always tell you that you should buy the next size larger than the one you think you need. And they're right. :)

I knew I could get a cheap Corona mill but also knew that I'd wish I had a better model (Cereal Killer, Barley Crusher, something like that). I gritted my teeth and went one better.

I know also that when funds are short, they're short. When that's the case people often buy the cheapest stuff they can get by with to see if they really want to continue with the hobby/passion.

I suggest you do two things: first, become friends with Craigslist. Search on beer, brew, and brewing. There are occasionally people getting out of home brewing and they sell off their setup for very reasonable prices.

As an example: https://iowacity.craigslist.org/for/5531097277.html

If you're not nearby that isn't so valuable, but there are people all over selling off parts and pieces. I'm looking at that 10-gallon brew kettle and thinking it might be worth a drive for me (it's about 75 minutes away). Plus anything else he has. :)

I found a guy selling out (small kids, no longer has time) who sold me a refrigerator, mash tun, two carboys, fastrack bottling racks, InkBird temp controller, 5-gallon kettle, bottling bucket, a bunch of 22-ounce bomber bottles, stainless spoon, hydrometer, and a bunch of other odds and ends for....$150. I sold the carboys for $25, so my net was $125. For stuff that probably is worth $400. Craigslist: worth a look, and keep at it.

Second, have patience. Items go on sale from time to time at online retailers, and you can save significant amounts (20 percent or more). A kit like this for kegging is not, IMO, all that great a deal at $149.99. At $120, though, it's a better deal.

Good luck, welcome to the obsession, and brew on!

Excellent advice on the 'don't cheap out and you'll only have to buy once' philosophy. My only add-in is that I suggested a Corona mill not only for its cheapness but also durability. My cheaper-than-usual, misproportioned, poorly-cast Corona mill is still built like a tank and will grind grain for decades. It's slower than a big roller mill, but if I eventually get tired of setting aside a bit of 'me' time to hand-crank my grain to oblivion, I'll screw in a bolt and set it up with a drill and that one-hour job will take five minutes. I'd love to have a barley crusher or monster mill or equivalent roller mill with a higher throughput and bigger hopper, but the old Corona is still a perfectly adequate tool for the job.

Eh. I enjoy the challenging of seeing how much I can do with a minimal setup. Depends on your goals and personality. Proud Corona mill owner right here.

You can make a lot of good beer with basic equipment.

I do recommend you get 10 gallon kettle, though. Minimum. You can build the rest of your stuff around that.

And a chiller. Full boils are easiest with a decent chiller.

Probably a mill too, so you can buy bulk grain and save money.

Wouldn't hurt to buy a cheap STC-1000 temp control and fridge off CL....

Thanks, guys. Now 45 hours into fermentation and the airlock smells pretty good. Think I'll start bottling tomorrow. Kidding.
Thanks for the advice. I've learned a ton on this forum in the last month.

My entire setup is done on the cheap/scrounged model. Two vessel two level with a dishwasher pump. Turkey fryer bought on clearance for heat. I probably have more invested in fittings than anything else. Corona mill soon to be powered with a takeoff dryer motor. It doesnt have to be fancy to do the job. Homer buckets for fermenters. Add a peice at a time.

Eh. I enjoy the challenging of seeing how much I can do with a minimal setup. Depends on your goals and personality. Proud Corona mill owner right here.

i own a corona, and have used my buddies bad ass triple roller mill, and i really dont see a difference. corona crushes flawlessly, and i get consistent 80-85% eff.

Back