Aloha from Honolulu, Hawaii!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawaiibboy

Reaction score
Aloha from Hawaii!

I am just starting in my own homebrewing adventures and still consider myself a novice. I have done about ten, 10gal AG batches with a buddy of mine while I was back in college in Oregon. That being said, I have no equipment yet and am hoping to build up an AG system to start solo brewing on.

I have decided to forgo extract and partial mash because of my experience in all grain and because I really want to be able to control my brews. I will probably have plenty of questions over the next few weeks as I put together my system. Already some of my questions have been answered by the posts here in the forums. Thank you all for sharing your wisdom and knowledge to us fledgling homebrewers.

I am an avid fan of highly hopped westcoast IPAs and hope to be making my own soon. With my experience doing some AG brews in Oregon I have been able to help develop some recipes with my friend and hope to get some feed back as I develop my own recipes.

A little about me:
Name: Alex
Favorite Comercial Brew: Ninkasi's Total Domination IPA (even though I can't get my hands on it out here in the islands)
Job: Barista at Starbucks
College: Oregon State University (Go Beavs)
Experience in Brewing: 10 AG batches with a friend, an intro class as OSU about beer wine and spirits.
Current Project: Putting together an AG system (more info will be in a new post)

Aloha for now and I look forward to sharing my experiences and learning from all of you in the forums!

"Beer, it's the best damn drink in the world." -Jack Nicholson

Welcome Alex,

I used to live in Makakilo on Oahu. I wasn't brewing when I lived there. how is the availability of supplies? Is there a home brew store or do you have to order everything from the internet?

Sarrsipius said:
Welcome Alex,

I used to live in Makakilo on Oahu. I wasn't brewing when I lived there. how is the availability of supplies? Is there a home brew store or do you have to order everything from the internet?

Well there is two stores now. One of which I have gone to now. While its nice to have a store, their prices are ridiculous. I can get what I need from the Internet with shipping included for less!

So as an update:

I still have not found the time or money to invest in my home brewing :(. I am hoping to get my set up going very soon though.

Until then, brew on, and brew hard!

Look around & see what you can scrounge. Everything works if ya let it! Cooler mash tuns,large SS stock pots,etc. Craigs list,flea markets...

Aloha! I grew up in Ewa Beach not far from Barber's Point Naval Air Station. Spent many years catching crab, shark fishing, and body boarding out there.

Good luck getting your brew rig going.

unionrdr said:
Look around & see what you can scrounge. Everything works if ya let it! Cooler mash tuns,large SS stock pots,etc. Craigs list,flea markets...

That has been an issue here in the islands. I know people brew (there is a local brew club), but I don't think many. When I was in OR a simple search for "brew" in CL yielded quite a few results. Here in HI not much, if anything :-/

My plan is to order from various retailers online. I basically have nothing since I always used one of my friends set-ups and shared the batch with them (plus 10gal of beer is a lot of beer for only a few people). Shipping is going to be a royal PITA though!

Any suggestions? So far I have been able to find most of what I want/need from northern brewer and amazon. Know of any competition for NB?

MidTNJasonF said:
Aloha! I grew up in Ewa Beach not far from Barber's Point Naval Air Station. Spent many years catching crab, shark fishing, and body boarding out there.

Good luck getting your brew rig going.

Thanks! Yeah, HI is pretty much paradise! I just need to figure out an effective may to ferment with out overheating in our awesome weather!

unionrdr said:

Lol, so many places to go through now! thanks for the help! I really want to try to put together my set-up for under 600 (including shipping) but the least I've gotten it down to is about 660. :-/

I hope these can get you there. I've been collecting sites for a while now. Being a different situation for you,I hope they can help.

unionrdr said:
I hope these can get you there. I've been collecting sites for a while now. Being a different situation for you,I hope they can help.

I'm sure I'll be able to work with these. Thanks again!

My plan is an outdoor 3gal BIAB system. My big investment will be in a good kettle. I really don't want to have to get another kettle further on down the road. I'll probably make a post later about the needed equipment and look for feed back.

Update:

Today is payday- with some sacrifices to what I wanted vs. what I need to brew I have been able to effectively lower my set-up price from $700+ (including shipping) to about $550 (including shipping)!

I'm not sure if beer is ready for me, but I'm ready for some beer!

Thanks! Yeah, HI is pretty much paradise! I just need to figure out an effective may to ferment with out overheating in our awesome weather!

You gotta use water bath. Put your bucket in a big tub of water and use frozen water bottles and swap um out every 6-8 hours or so. Thats wat i do and im able to keep my temps between 68º and 76º Just drop one thermometer in the tub of water and put frozen water when need.

Well there is two stores now. One of which I have gone to now. While its nice to have a store, their prices are ridiculous. I can get what I need from the Internet with shipping included for less!

Homebrew in paradise in mapunapuna is one where is the second one?

UnDeFiNeD_EK-808 said:
Homebrew in paradise in mapunapuna is one where is the second one?

Wine stop has a limited number of supplies, not really geared towards beer but wine. (At least last time I was there.

UnDeFiNeD_EK-808 said:
You gotta use water bath. Put your bucket in a big tub of water and use frozen water bottles and swap um out every 6-8 hours or so. Thats wat i do and im able to keep my temps between 68º and 76º Just drop one thermometer in the tub of water and put frozen water when need.

Yeah that would definitely work! I am thinking of getting a temp controller for a fridge. Until then though my plan is to water bath with towels and fans.

See if you can score a fridge asap. I think if you can get a consistent temp for fermenting, you'll make some good beer. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

lgilmore said:
See if you can score a fridge asap. I think if you can get a consistent temp for fermenting, you'll make some good beer. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

I have a spare dorm fridge and a spare freezer. The dorm fridge is too small for a 5gal fermenter though. Would a freezer work if it had a temp controller on it like a fridge?

The dorm fridge would fit a 3gal fermenter though with some modification!

Aloha! I live in pearl city. There are lots of refrigerators and chest freezers on Craigslist. That is where i picked up mine.....i did the swamp cooler thing for awhile and it was a pain! I regret not buying a chest freezer and temp controller sooner!

teddy4xp said:
Aloha! I live in pearl city. There are lots of refrigerators and chest freezers on Craigslist. That is where i picked up mine.....i did the swamp cooler thing for awhile and it was a pain! I regret not buying a chest freezer and temp controller sooner!

Thanks for the tip! Glad to see another Hawaii HomeBrewer here! I do have an extra freezer so I might use that bad boy as my fermenter environment.

Also: how are you chilling your wort? I am thinking off using a pre-chiller and an immersion chiller. Any tips?

unionrdr said:

The swap meet at Aloha stadium would be a great place to look for supplies! And you can use the plastic water jugs as carboys until you can get glass...

davek said:
The swap meet at Aloha stadium would be a great place to look for supplies! And you can use the plastic water jugs as carboys until you can get glass...

Omg! ::SMH:: I completely didn't think of that!!! Great idea davek! Might go today!

Lol, I am thinking of using Better bottles, so plastic jugs aren't beyond me!

Hawaiibboy said:
Omg! ::SMH:: I completely didn't think of that!!! Great idea davek! Might go today!

Lol, I am thinking of using Better bottles, so plastic jugs aren't beyond me!

Don't use the ones with the handles though... Too hard to clean!

That has been an issue here in the islands. I know people brew (there is a local brew club), but I don't think many. When I was in OR a simple search for "brew" in CL yielded quite a few results. Here in HI not much, if anything :-/

My plan is to order from various retailers online. I basically have nothing since I always used one of my friends set-ups and shared the batch with them (plus 10gal of beer is a lot of beer for only a few people). Shipping is going to be a royal PITA though!

Any suggestions? So far I have been able to find most of what I want/need from northern brewer and amazon. Know of any competition for NB?

Check out home brewers out post, I bring in a lot of ingredients from there shipping isn't to bad still cheaper than home brew in paradise. I oh and by the way I from Kaneohe and now live in pearl city.
Shoots brah

HawaiianBrew said:
Check out home brewers out post, I bring in a lot of ingredients from there shipping isn't to bad still cheaper than home brew in paradise. I oh and by the way I from Kaneohe and now live in pearl city.
Shoots brah

Will have to check them out! I am planning on buying my set up today, but not until I definitely check out that site! Right now I am looking at going through Northern Brewer and Amazon. Found some wort chillers that + shipping would be cheaper than making one! (Went to Home Depot yesterday and dang, copper tubing is pricy here on the islands!)

I have a spare dorm fridge and a spare freezer. The dorm fridge is too small for a 5gal fermenter though. Would a freezer work if it had a temp controller on it like a fridge?

The dorm fridge would fit a 3gal fermenter though with some modification!

I us a Jonson controller 419a on my freezer hold at 65 degrees. If you like I have another type controller as a spare let me know.

HawaiianBrew said:
I us a Jonson controller 419a on my freezer hold at 65 degrees. If you like I have another type controller as a spare let me know.

Thanks! I might take you up on that as my budget is getting tight. If I can fit a digital temp controller in though, I'll be buying one for sure. The temp is just too nice here for us humans but not for those little yeasties!!

Shoots brah

What do you order through them? Ill get speciality base malt rebel brewer and hops from niko brew

Hawaiibboy said:
Favorite Comercial Brew: Ninkasi's Total Domination IPA (even though I can't get my hands on it out here in the islands)

That's one of my favorites as well. Just got back from a week vacation on Oahu ... Thought Maui brewing's Big Swell IPA was similar ... Very tasty in any case.

mathin said:
That's one of my favorites as well. Just got back from a week vacation on Oahu ... Thought Maui brewing's Big Swell IPA was similar ... Very tasty in any case.

Indeed! The big swell is probably my favorite local brew! I also really love torpedo from Sierra Nevada!

To all the Hawaii brewers:

When you order your grains and hops do you order bulk or exact amounts you need for a brew day? Just wondering how shipping is going to be.

Also have any of y'all ordered liquid yeasts and had it shipped here? How did it hold up?

I ordered yeast once and had it shipped over night. It was expensive, $35 with shipping. I buy yeast locally. I will order my grains from rebel brewer on occasion, they will pack 14lbs into a flat rate box and ship for $14. This is one of the only companies that I have found that will do this. I'll be interested to hear what everyone else does. Everywhere else the shipping is outrageous. I buy 90 percent of my stuff from homebrew in paradise. And I highly encourage you to support mikes store.

I'm in Ewa Beach. There is a club here, but I haven't been yet. Keep an eye on homebrewinparadise.com for the meeting times.

To all the Hawaii brewers:

When you order your grains and hops do you order bulk or exact amounts you need for a brew day? Just wondering how shipping is going to be.

Also have any of y'all ordered liquid yeasts and had it shipped here? How did it hold up?

Buy from Mike's store.

Back