Almost no carbonation - am I on the right track?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJ-3

Reaction score
Hi all,

I brewed a Pumpkin Porter a few weeks ago and it has almost no carbonation. Wanted to make sure I was progressing properly, so here are the details:

5 gal brew
1 week in the primary, 2 weeks in the secondary
OG was 1.066 and the FG is 1.022 ABV 5.7%
pitched a rehydrated yeast packet (11G of Munich rehydrated as per the manufacturer's directions to 70 degrees)

Had a good fermentation and secondary to sit on the pumpkin and spices, etc.......average fermentation temp was 66 degrees

Bottled with 3.5 ounces of priming sugar as per the manufacturer's directions

Let it sit in the bottles in my basement (roughly 66 degrees and they were out of any sunlight) for 2 weeks and tried one bottle. Got the smallest little hiss when I popped the cap but right away it did not sound right. Hard poured into a glass - no head at all in any way. Looking at the beer you can see the slightest bit of carbonation rising but nowhere near what I would think it should be ( I am not expecting a full blown Guinness head, but at least something would be nice).

Plans for now:
I have moved the bottles from my basement to the first floor (average temp on this floor is 74 degrees). Thought I would try them up here for 2 weeks to see if they carb up in a higher temperature. I am also turning the bottles end over end 3 times each, once a day in order to make sure the yeast isn't all settled on the bottom.

If this doesn't work would the next step be to open each bottle, put a few grains of dry yeast into each bottle and cap them again? Or should I move on to using something like a Cooper's carbonation tablet?

Any info would really be appreciated, I was planning on including these in my Christmas 6 pack and even though the taste is really good, I would be embarrassed to give out what amounts to almost flat beer.

Thanks for reading this.

I would give it more time at ~70 degree and see how it goes. I had a batch that I let carb for 2 months and had very little carbonation. I was instructed to shake the bottles everyday for a week, and that did the trick. That was just my experience.

66 is too cold, raise the temp to at least 70, you can go higher and give them another week or two

Thank you all, I am glad to hear all is not lost. So I am thinking 2 weeks at roughly 74 degrees and try again. Will check in with you all in about 2 weeks.

Just an update. After 2 more weeks in a warmer room it has carbed up nicely. Thanks for the help everyone!

Latest posts

Back