Almond Paste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TastyAdventure

Reaction score
I want to use almond paste in my next recipe. I just can't figure out how to measure hoe much to use, and how much it will affect the gravity per unit. The brewing app I use calculates by "PPG", normally around 1.034 for most grains. How can I translate the almond paste to this formula?

Almond paste is almonds and a lot of sugar. Sugar is what you need to look at for your calculation.

Solo Almond Paste Nutritional Facts
Serv. Size 2 TBSP (40g), Servings per Container about 6, Amount Per Serving: Calories 180, Calories from Fat 90, Total Fat 10g (16%DV), Saturated Fat 1g (4%DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholesterol 0mg (0%DV), Sodium 5mg (0%DV), Total Carbohydrate 19g (6%DV), Dietary Fiber 2g (8%DV), Sugars 16g, Protein 4g, Vitamin A 0%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 4%, Iron 4%. Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on 2,000 calorie diet

Since it's 16g of sugar to each 40g of paste, then I would estimate its PPG as 40% of the PPG of sucrose.

Why not do a Marzipan Chocolate Stout ?

Normally a Marzipan log you buy in Germany has a bitter chocolate outer coating, the best coming from Lübeck.

How much are you planning to use in a 5gal batch?
I don't think its the sugar you should be worried about, more so if its artificial flavoring or the real deal.

If I were you I would put some almonds into a blender, and then smear the paste on a plate, patting with a towel removing oil each day you should be left with a somewhat dryer paste that you can use in your beer.

Almond extracts are really good, too, and don't have all the oils. Like vanilla extract, they're a real product, not like the fake-y fruit flavors you can buy. Might be worth adding a drop to a glass of the style you're making, to see how you like it.

Back