allot of grime in my fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

songe

Reaction score
so after brewing my first biab beer. there was allot of residue that got into my fermenter after chilling my worth. there was cold-break material and hop pellets residue. what is the best approach to avoid this for my future brews? its painfull having to transfer my beer every week to get all that gue out

You could pour into your fermentor through a funnel with a built in strainer. With a second pair of hands, using the funnel/strainer, pour through a paint straining bag. All sanitized of course.
Cold break material and hop residue that gets into my carboy I just leave it. The trub will compact at the bottom. I keep my siphon above the trub layer so I don't transfer the trub to my bottling bucket.
Transfer of the beer to a secondary vessel risks oxidation, contamination, or a stuck fermentation.
Hope this helps.

yeah.. i can just buy a bazooka filter and add that to my kettle.

i know the risk of transferring. and i was transferring to 2nd today. and bottling in about 2 weeks. wont coffee filters work aswell?

I think the coffee filters are small and would clog rather rapidly. With the paint strainer bag, as it collects material in the bottom, will still strain through the sides.

It would help, for sure, and that's actually what I used to use in my own boil kettle. I've since upgraded to a Hop Stopper, which almost works too well. I have to contain my hops in a separate hop screen cylinder, and even then, if there's a lot of break material in the boil, the Hop Stopper can get clogged and constrict flow out the valve.

Other points I want to add: It doesn't matter if break material gets into your fermenter. It actually contains nutrients for the yeast. Don't worry about it. It will settle out at the bottom of the fermenter. It's far more damaging to rack your beer to another fermenter unnecessarily. Were you really doing that every week??? You risk contaminating your beer, or at least oxidizing it. Just leave it in the primary fermenter for the whole time and don't worry so much about the trub.

It would help, for sure, and that's actually what I used to use in my own boil kettle. I've since upgraded to a Hop Stopper, which almost works too well. I have to contain my hops in a separate hop screen cylinder, and even then, if there's a lot of break material in the boil, the Hop Stopper can get clogged and constrict flow out the valve.

Other points I want to add: It doesn't matter if break material gets into your fermenter. It actually contains nutrients for the yeast. Don't worry about it. It will settle out at the bottom of the fermenter. It's far more damaging to rack your beer to another fermenter unnecessarily. Were you really doing that every week??? You risk contaminating your beer, or at least oxidizing it. Just leave it in the primary fermenter for the whole time and don't worry so much about the trub.

Well.. no but i racket this beer for the first time into 2nd fermenter... There was soo much trub.. and its soo easy to stirr it up.. so i rater get most of it out now.. and let it age for a while now. fermented really quick. and hope it turns out well.... if not hmm just gonna try again i guess :p its not undrinkable.. but it is at 9.20 ABV now.... so i need to age it a while

When I do BIAB, I have the grains and hops in a 5 gallon paint strainer bag. I get more trub than when doing batch sparge all grain but not enough that I do anything special. I just ferment in primary for 3 weeks or so then package. That time allows the trub to compact. I only lose maybe a couple bottles worth in comparison to batch sparging.

i lost about 1 liter of worth when transferring today. so thats not too bad... well im using wirfloch. thats why i got so much crap in my fermenter.... so im gonna try with a filter next time

Back