all two row crated equal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isac777

Reaction score
So i just started buying 2 row in 25 kilo bags of gambrinus and was wondering f you guys have experimented with the stock grain of all our brews..Breiss, great wetern.. figure if theres anywhere somebody could debate the smallest detals and obsess over them it's be here. I dont got any problems with canada other than they call a ipa what call a sessoin pale but hey thats another conversation...

I've found no difference other than price and country origin....I find no difference also between two row and Maris Otter / Golden Promise (technically those are two row also)

Thanks! No difference btw even maris otter wow. It would be fun to do a experience. Seems maris is a little maltier to me

Huh. My experience has been completely the opposite. Very noticeable differences, even between different malsters in the same country. Some differences are more drastic than others...i.e., MO vs Briess 2-row is totally different. GW Pale vs Rahr Pale...still different, but more similar.

I have done 1.052/30 IBU SMaSH beers(cascade for all) with MO, Gambrinus pale and GW 2-row. All different. The difference between Gambrinus and GW is not great, but I find Gambrinus a bit cleaner and slightly more malty. MO (I use Crisp and Fawcett) is mildly biscuity.

Huh. My experience has been completely the opposite. Very noticeable differences, even between different malsters in the same country. Some differences are more drastic than others...i.e., MO vs Briess 2-row is totally different. GW Pale vs Rahr Pale...still different, but more similar.

Yes, me too! Briess seems sweeter than Rahr ven though they are both US two rows. And crisp Maris otter tastes different than munitions. Great westerns two row tastes grainier to me. Some of the differencesd are subtle but some Are not.

No matter what you read or who tells you want you'll only know if you test it yourself. We did a test and brewed our Fullers ESB clone several times over. It's a great drinkable beer and rather straight forward, we just changed the base. We tried:

Briess 2-Row - standard, leaning towards a pale
Candian 2-Row - ended up with lower OG, less body
Rahr 2-Row - very close to Briess
Optic - odd! not bad but different
Muttons Maris Otter - more body, 'best' tasting one

Of course even making the same beer a few times with the same gear, it's slightly different due to fermentation temps. Anyways it's also how we discovered that different mills (different crushes) affect the beer.

2 LHBS sold us the same grain (Briess) and in making this ESB, the one shop that admitted to having a 'meh' mill (crush never looked very good) always came in 5 to 10 points low on OG, other LHBS has a very nice mill, always hit OG. The place with the 'meh' mill is MUCH cheaper and closer to me, so we bought our own mill and it's all good now.

Something we do to is save a few bottles from each and throw them in the fridge so we can compare them to later batches. Clearly time changes the taste a bit, but we can get a general idea.

sniperd said:
No matter what you read or who tells you want you'll only know if you test it yourself. We did a test and brewed our Fullers ESB clone several times over. It's a great drinkable beer and rather straight forward, we just changed the base. We tried:

Briess 2-Row - standard, leaning towards a pale
Candian 2-Row - ended up with lower OG, less body
Rahr 2-Row - very close to Briess
Optic - odd! not bad but different
Muttons Maris Otter - more body, 'best' tasting one

Of course even making the same beer a few times with the same gear, it's slightly different due to fermentation temps. Anyways it's also how we discovered that different mills (different crushes) affect the beer.

2 LHBS sold us the same grain (Briess) and in making this ESB, the one shop that admitted to having a 'meh' mill (crush never looked very good) always came in 5 to 10 points low on OG, other LHBS has a very nice mill, always hit OG. The place with the 'meh' mill is MUCH cheaper and closer to me, so we bought our own mill and it's all good now.

Something we do to is save a few bottles from each and throw them in the fridge so we can compare them to later batches. Clearly time changes the taste a bit, but we can get a general idea.

Thanks. I seem to like the taste of the Gambrinus and by taste i mean just eating kernels.. I dunno if it's a bad habit or I'm just a fat guy but i enjoy trying a little malt here and there for potential flavors of specialty malta

Thanks. I seem to like the taste of the Gambrinus and by taste i mean just eating kernels.. I dunno if it's a bad habit or I'm just a fat guy but i enjoy trying a little malt here and there for potential flavors of specialty malta

tasting your malt is a great habit to get into, not only will it give you *some* idea of what the malt will contribute, it can also tell you if/when the malt is stale.

Maris Otter is a totally different variety of barley than any of the 2-rows and will taste wildly different than a standard 2-row. Anyway, there are clear differences between the different malsters (even in 2-row), and you should consider trying out the various brands if you'd like to be able to zero in on a recipe or are trying to achieve some consistency batch to batch.

tasting your malt is a great habit to get into, not only will it give you *some* idea of what the malt will contribute, it can also tell you if/when the malt is stale.

Great until you wonder what some of the roast malts taste like.

What's wrong with that? Munching malts or making "malt teas" is a great way to get a feel for the differences between maltsters or malt types.

Nothing wrong, they (the roasted malts) don't taste the best

Tasting dry grains is a great way to get a general sense of broad styles (crystal 60 vs crystal 120 vs roasted barley), but, you really have to brew with them to appreciate the subtleties, especially for comparing base malts or different malsters. i.e., I cannot distinguish dry Rahr from dry Briess...but in a beer, they are different.

Latest posts

Back