All of my fermenters are empty! I want YOUR summer brewing suggestions, going all-gra

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ikyn

Reaction score
Alright, so all of my fermenters are empty. I know, it's a shame! I've decided to finally go all grain, so here's what I have for equipment and setup:

* 8-gal SS brew kettle
* 10-gal Igloo cooler Mash-tun, with bazooka screen
* 3 bucket fermenters and 1 6-gallon better bottle fermenter
* [Bayou Classic banjo cooker for fast outdoor boils](http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009JXYQY/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20)
* (2) 2Liter Erylenmeyer flasks adn (4) 1/2-gal growlers for starters
* [A brand-new grain mill from Adventures in Homebrewing](http://www.homebrewing.org/Cereal-Killer-Grain-Mill_p_2310.html)

Ingredients on hand:

* 50 lb sack of 2-row
* 1 oz. Centennial hops in freezer
* 1 oz. Cascade hops in freezer
* 1 smack-pack of Wyeast 3711 French Saisaon
* A White labs bottle of WLP400 that was scraped from the trub from my failed wit
* some mason jars of washed Saflager-23
* [Here is the availible yeasts from my LHBS](http://www.brewapp.com/ingredientsyeast.html)

Now, I don't have any kind of temperature control. So I'm at the mercy of whatever my apartment is, plus or minus a few degrees for a wet towel and a swamp cooler setup. If I have to, I can chill it down in the fridge, as my beautiful and wonderful wife allows me to keep the middle shelf out of the fridge for cold crashes and short-duration lagering.

I could also bring my fermenter to my workplace, but would be limited to a week, where it is 73 degrees all day every day.

I'm mostly interested in the Saison. My wife's ears perked up when I mentioned a Lemon Basil saison.

A citrus wit is probably in order as well.

Please, any and all recipes and suggestions are welcome. I have to get the starters started today or tomorrow for this weekend. Let's go!

Last edited by a moderator:
Saison's are wonderful. But you'll have to get those temps a little higher. Preferably in the mid 80's.

Saison's are wonderful. But you'll have to get those temps a little higher. Preferably in the mid 80's.

That won't be an issue. Next week is supposed to be in the mid 90's for my area. It will be in the mid 80's in my apartment!

Then I'd say get a saison going. That and a good APA...hard to top those for perfect summer beers.

Fermentis lists the top fermentation temperature as 72 degF. S-23 is pretty estery for a lager yeast. So in addition to your wet t-shirt swamp cooler, you can direct a fan to blow over your rig (which should get you 3-5 degF more cooling), and you can freeze little water bottles and put them in your water bath, change them as soon as the ice melts. You should be able to get below 70 degF, possibly below 65 degF, that way. It will be a fruity helles, but that would be true even if you used US-05 in the 70-80 degF range.

I, too, have minimal temperature control, and would brew this for myself with a Koelsch or altbier yeast. But you have the S-23 on hand.

If that's the case, I might just bring that one to my place of work and let it sit under my desk for a few days. Clandestine brewing 101...

Back