All my brews have the same stupid flavor...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a filter on my oxygen. I'm bottling and I can taste it pre carbonation.

I don't think it's anything wild or infectious, I think I'm tasting my beer with no malt flavor, so just hop bitterness.

I think I've been mashing too low and creating a wort that's too fermentable. I'm making a small low og batch tomorrow that I'mashing really high (158F). If it remains as dry as it's been then I'll look into switching out my system but by bit.

I think I've been mashing too low and creating a wort that's too fermentable. I'm making a small low og batch tomorrow that I'mashing really high (158F). If it remains as dry as it's been then I'll look into switching out my system but by bit.

You were talking about mash temps, but I didn't see any mention of your fermentation temps. Could they be too high? That might produce some off flavors too, but I'm just throwing it out there.

You were talking about mash temps, but I didn't see any mention of your fermentation temps. Could they be too high? That might produce some off flavors too, but I'm just throwing it out there.

Naw, I keep it at 67 or below for the most part. I pushed my Tripel to 70, but I wouldn't call that extreme. They're all very clean.

What is your elevation? 210 isn't usual boiling point for sea level. That is 212, so perhaps you think you are mashing at 151, but really closer to 149....which would explain the high attenuation.

Like I said, I would put all my money on wild yeast somewhere in your equipment.
Really clean and bleach eveything if you need to. Boil your hoses and make sure your chiller is spotless.
Bottling also gives wild yeasties in your batch an even bigger chance of taking over as your bringing your beer up to room temp for a few weeks and adding sugar which is like throwing fuel onto the fire.
Is your beer over carbing slightly in the bottle?

Didn't you say the OG was that low? So bottling isn't the issue...
My only suggestions are that since you're gonna do a small batch, don't rule out two possible problems at one time. Mash like normal, but no starter.
Another idea is to just go ahead and buy a new thermometer. Then, if they're both accurate, at least you have the ability to check mash temps in two separate locations in the future.
What did you say you're fermenting in? That could be the down side with the small test batch, if the infection is in your fermenter.

I've used 3 different fermentors. One glass carboy, a bucket and Saturday was a 1 gallon glass carboy. I brewed a mild so I'm hoping for a really quick turnaround. I mashed at 158, so if it finishes low, again I'll know it's either an infection or my thermometer. I had two thermometers reading the same temp. Will let you guys know!

what kind of thermometers? didn't realize you had two. chances are there they could both be off, but i would think the chances are slim.
have you checked them at lower temps? or do you have any other kind of thermometer in your house to check them against. it's sounding more and more like an infection problem.

what kind of thermometers? didn't realize you had two. chances are there they could both be off, but i would think the chances are slim.
have you checked them at lower temps? or do you have any other kind of thermometer in your house to check them against. it's sounding more and more like an infection problem.

One is a meat thermometer that I have no faith in, but since it read the same as my other one I'm hoping it's a good sign. I have not checked them at lower temps.

I don't see how it could be an infection, but I'm certainly not ruling out the possibility.

what are you using to transfer from kettle to fermenter?
i thought about it some more, and actually you should be able to tell from this batch whether your problem is coming from infecting your starter, or even some kind of infected fermenter, or from the mash temps. basically because if it's got a lot of residual sweetness (aka, that the FG is way too high), then you know your mash temps are hitting what they're supposed to, and therefore, the mash temps are not the problem. and all the while, you didn't have an over-attenuated batch on your hands, therefore you must be infecting your starter.
of course it this one over-attenuates, then you've got quite a problem on your hands.

what are you using to transfer from kettle to fermenter?
i thought about it some more, and actually you should be able to tell from this batch whether your problem is coming from infecting your starter, or even some kind of infected fermenter, or from the mash temps. basically because if it's got a lot of residual sweetness (aka, that the FG is way too high), then you know your mash temps are hitting what they're supposed to, and therefore, the mash temps are not the problem. and all the while, you didn't have an over-attenuated batch on your hands, therefore you must be infecting your starter.
of course it this one over-attenuates, then you've got quite a problem on your hands.

I typically use my ball valve. Suppose it could come from that...this time I used a siphon in a different pot, no starter, in a new fermenter.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1430265295.872971.jpg

I think I figured it out.

My old thermometer was reading 2 degrees low and wasn't showing any change in mash temp over an hour. This one showed a 7 degree drop in 20 minutes (never preheated my tun).

I was able to convert my mash to a no sparge about 20 minutes in and got up to 150 on a Tank 7 clone, so I'm hoping it works.

I think the "stupid flavor" was a complete lack of malt character with a sharp hop bitterness. I'm disappointed because the last Tripel I did is basically rocket fuel. I'd guess I ended up mashing it at 143-145. No wonder I was always getting crazy attenuation.

You also have to consider that grain bed is going to be fairly stratified so you measure 151 in one spot - it could easily be 149 an inch up (just making an example). So you may want to come in a bit higher to start if you're looking for more body. The lower you get the more fermentables you're creating and you'll get that dry beer that's harshly bitter with no maltiness to back it up.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back