All my beers finish around 1.008-1.010

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BansheeRider

Reaction score
I've been brewing now for a couple years. Since brewing AG I've noticed this with all my beers. I brewed extract beers for about a year before making the plunge to AG. With extract my FG was always spot on (typical for extract brews). With AG about 99% of my beers have a FG of 1.008 - 1.011. I guess this is good and bad. Sometimes I would like to finish higher.

I am going to receive a large beer kit from NB soon, it's the Plinian Legacy AG kit. I should hit the OG around 1070 - 1080 depending on my efficiency. For this brew I would like to focus on reaching the correct FG which is 1017. I do not want this beer to finish around 1008.

I know this has something to do with my brewing process. Maybe I should fumble around with my mash temps? Or maybe I am pitching too much yeast? I make starters for every batch over 1.050 OG. I normally mash every batch at 151 -153 degrees. Should I try a higher temperature to get less fermentable sugars? Or should I be looking at my yeast pitch amounts?

Any help is appreciated, Thanks!

P.S....I posted this question here in this forum so maybe newbies will gain some knowledge about AG brewing.

The only two fixes I can think of is mash higher or use lower attenuating yeast. You could try stressing the yeast, but that might lead to off flavors. Try Windsor or wlp 051.

A 151-153 mash temperature is on the lower end of the mash range. Mashing at this temperature will generally produce a more fermentable wort and hence a lower gravity.

The other consideration is the grainbill, one made of lots of high fermentable sugars will produce a lower FG than a beer mashed at the same temperature if more unfermentable sugars. Caramelized and roasted malts will produce more of these unfermentable sugars.

Next is the yeast, your'll end up with a lower FG when pitching a more attenuative yeast.

Over or under pitching will generally result in a high FG because yeast health is compromised.

If you want a higher FG, increase the mash temp, look at your grain bill and select the right yeast. A program like beersmith goes a long way to aiding accurate prediction of FG.

A 151-153 mash temperature is on the lower end of the mash range. Mashing at this temperature will generally produce a more fermentable wort and hence a lower gravity.

The other consideration is the grainbill, one made of lots of high fermentable sugars will produce a lower FG than a beer mashed at the same temperature if more unfermentable sugars. Caramelized and roasted malts will produce more of these unfermentable sugars.

Next is the yeast, your'll end up with a lower FG when pitching a more attenuative yeast.

Over or under pitching will generally result in a high FG because yeast health is compromised.

If you want a higher FG, increase the mash temp, look at your grain bill and select the right yeast. A program like beersmith goes a long way to aiding accurate prediction of FG.

I do use beer smith. It recommends mash temp of 152 and the estimated FG is 1017. In real world brewing this never happens for me. The FG is always much lower then what BS estimates.

Are you sure your thermometer is accurate? Maybe you're really mashing at 148 when your thermometer reads 152.

Yeah I just checked a hydrometer and found it 2 points off...it could be either...

My thermo and hydro are both accurate. I always add a point for higher beer temp.

I've been brewing now for a couple years. Since brewing AG I've noticed this with all my beers. I brewed extract beers for about a year before making the plunge to AG. With extract my FG was always spot on (typical for extract brews). With AG about 99% of my beers have a FG of 1.008 - 1.011. I guess this is good and bad. Sometimes I would like to finish higher.

I am going to receive a large beer kit from NB soon, it's the Plinian Legacy AG kit. I should hit the OG around 1070 - 1080 depending on my efficiency. For this brew I would like to focus on reaching the correct FG which is 1017. I do not want this beer to finish around 1008.

I know this has something to do with my brewing process. Maybe I should fumble around with my mash temps? Or maybe I am pitching too much yeast? I make starters for every batch over 1.050 OG. I normally mash every batch at 151 -153 degrees. Should I try a higher temperature to get less fermentable sugars? Or should I be looking at my yeast pitch amounts?

Any help is appreciated, Thanks!

P.S....I posted this question here in this forum so maybe newbies will gain some knowledge about AG brewing.

I would definitely mash at a higher temp if you are consistently hitting low FGs. As a previous poster said, 151-153 is on the lower end and you will end up with more fermentable sugars that way. You could try mashing between 154 and 156. Also, check your yeast pitch rate. You can use a program like yeastcalculator.com (formally known as yeastcalc) to determine proper pitching rates. Also, check out the yeast that you're using. You may want to look at the yeast profiles on whitelab's or wyeast's websites in order to find a yeast that will finish sweeter and is less attenuative. The issue could be a combination of factors, so it'd be a sound idea to attack this issue from all sides.

More importantly than measured FG, how do the beers taste? Are they too dry, and suffer from lack of body?

If so, you can add some CaraPils to your recipes. The dextrins will keep the FG and body up.

Is your mash holding your temp? If you start at 151 and it drops to 148 you'll get a thinner beer. If you start and hold at 151, you are still at the low end. If you start and hold at 153 maybe you'll be better. Or start at 154.

Make sure Beersmith is set up to take all equipment into account, but I assume you are using your thermometer in any case.

All good suggestions. I will try mashing at 156 degrees and see how that works. I don't think it's the yeast or my pitching rates. I rarely brew the same beer twice, so I've used many different types of yeast in the year I've been brewing AG.

My mash tun holds temp within 1 degree over an hour. I don't really want to fix this issue by buying more grains that produce unfermentable sugar. I will try mashing at a higher temp and see how that works.

I'm wondering if water profile has anything to do with it. I'm not positive because like I said I've brewed many different beers. I do add gypsum to each batch I mash to lower the PH of my water. Maybe this has something to do with it?

Either way I am still producing damn good beer. All my beers taste great and everybody complements my beer. I'm just wondering how it would taste with more body.

I would definitely NOT mash an iipa at 156. You want it to finish crisp and dry and quaffable. 1.010-1.012 is a perfect fg for that style.

Ignore beersmith's fg estimates- all it does is give % of og as a fg. It is not accurate for guessing fg.

Like everyone else I will suggest that you check your thermometer. That being said, when making a double IPA I prefer to drive down the FG, I really want them to be bone dry.

Like I said, my thermo is accurate. I tried 2 different ones and they were within 1 degree of each other.

I would definitely NOT mash an iipa at 156. You want it to finish crisp and dry and quaffable. 1.010-1.012 is a perfect fg for that style.

Ignore beersmith's fg estimates- all it does is give % of og as a fg. It is not accurate for guessing fg.

Very true about IPAs being dry and crisp. Maybe my next batch I will try mashing at higher temps. The Plinian will be dry as is anyways because the recipe calls for corn sugar at flame out as well.

Guys, I know that an IPA "should" be finished dry, but this is HOMEBREW, and OP can brew it how ever the hell they want to, IMHO. OP stated that they wanted this beer to finish around 1.017, not dry it the heck out. I get it, I like dryer IPA's and IIPA's too, but we are here to support him on how to get a more full bodied and sweeter beer. Please refrain from inserting your personal perspectives on how certain beers should be. Making a beer in a way that you want is a part of homebrewing...

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Ok guys I just took a gravity reading after 12 days in primary. I mashed at 158 degrees for 1.5 hours. The OG was 1.077 and the reading I took today is 1.017 = about 8% ABV and around 77% attenuation. So....now I know why all my beers have been finishing below 1.010, mash temps. SO far this beer tastes great! You definitely notice the mouth feel with extra body in the beer. This IPA is delicious. I will be racking to secondary today and adding more dry hops.

A couple nights ago I brewed a centennial blonde. I mashed at 155 vs. 151 like suggested. Can't wait to see how this beer turns out. Gotta love how you can control the outcome of your beer simply by changing the mash temp. I knew there was a reason I advanced to AG brewing :mug:

Latest posts

Back