All-in-ones - the future of homebrewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To me it is like using a CNC machine for woodworking. It does all the work of carving and such you would have to do by hand or with other tools, but the hands on personal part is lost. And just like the CNC machine the price of the brew machines are ridiculous. I could buy way more equipment and ingredients and still be ahead of the game.
Plus in the long run if it breaks, can it be repaired or is that the end of it. There is not much I can do to a brew pot unless I put a hole in it.

I see it more like a bread machine. I have had one and it was nice as I could put in the ingredients and get up to fresh bread in the morning. But I missed the "made by me" part. After a year or two I went back to making my bread by hand so I could feel the dough and watch it rise.

I just don't see it, especially for the cost, taking over the homebrew world at all. I do see a good market for them though, if they can find a way to hit it. Seems to me that for the most part, Homebrewing is a DIYers paradise and I believe, for the most part, that's a lot of what draws people to this hobby. It's definitely a big part of it for me. The satisfaction of creating something you can enjoy later.

I'd imagine there are people out there who would like to brew, but don't feel they have the skills or room to really get into it. These all in one rigs seems like a good place for those people to jump into the hobby. It also might be a good spot for your aging brewers who brew like me, constantly lugging 5 gallons of water from here to there. It's a way to brew and be part of the hobby without some of the labor factors that may not be as easy to contend with once you get reach the elderly stage of your life.

The problem is, you can't buy parts these days for the price of a finished computer. 10 - 15 years ago you could, but not now.
I've been building my computers since high school, but these last couple times, after shopping out parts, factoring in software, it just doesn't pay anymore. Yes, you can choose exactly the brand and model of, say, video card you want if you build, but for similar performance, you can almost always find and off-the-shelf machine.

:off:

I don't know. In my experience this has never been the case or I'd spare myself the hassle (even if it is slight). Though that could be the case on the mid to low end of the spectrum, but I only build myself a gaming rig every few years. And no off the shelf computers could keep up when I price check. On the processing side they always did/could but for some reason it's like they think no one cares about graphics.

And this thread illustrates the beauty of our hobby. Every one has different ways they get enjoyment from our hobby. I've gotten a chance to use some all in one systems, it was fun for me. The outstanding control and precision was cool for me. But I'll admit it, I missed vorlauffing, and batch sparging, etc... still think they're pretty cool.

This is just my perspective but... I have been brewing for almost 10 years now. I have moved from extract, to BIAB, to a completely self built (manual) brewtus type system using three keggles. Now that time is a bit shorter I have sold my brewtus system in anticipation of purchasing the Grainfather when it's released in the US. Over the years I spent a bit of money on my equipment, but I was lucky enough to get some of that back on the sale. Now I feel like I'm just moving to the next level with some automation to help with my consistency.

If I want beer with "little fuss," I'll just go to the liquor store and buy it.

Much the fun of homebrewing is going through all the steps, learning the science, building up skills, experimenting with recipes. All-in-one systems are for the person who wants to brew, but has more $$$ than patience, and who wants to go directly from point A to point Z. There certainly is a niche market for that.

I'm not sure I buy all the arguments on here about these all-in-one systems taking out all the fun of brewing. I've been considering moving from my 3-tier system to a Grainfather recently and it seems like a very attractive alternative. With the Grainfather I would still crush the grains, mash, sparge, boil, etc. The way I see it, the only thing I'm really losing is the process of transferring liquid from one vessel to another and fiddling around with temperatures. To be honest, those two things are what I enjoy the least anyway. I'm getting very tired of having to thaw my pumps and lines with a hair dryer in the middle of the winter :) Other than the obvious high price tag, I don't see many downsides to it.

I'm not sure I buy all the arguments on here about these all-in-one systems taking out all the fun of brewing. I've been considering moving from my 3-tier system to a Grainfather recently and it seems like a very attractive alternative. With the Grainfather I would still crush the grains, mash, sparge, boil, etc. The way I see it, the only thing I'm really losing is the process of transferring liquid from one vessel to another and fiddling around with temperatures. To be honest, those two things are what I enjoy the least anyway. I'm getting very tired of having to thaw my pumps and lines with a hair dryer in the middle of the winter :) Other than the obvious high price tag, I don't see many downsides to it.

That's cool. I understand your points.
You are, though, about 7 months late on this discussion.

I have been brewing for a while now. I'm fortunate enough to be able to afford and mess around with different setups. I started with a cheap bayou kettle and extract, worked my way up to BIAB, and then went to a Braumeister. I now have a HLT/MLT/brew kettle setup. As much as I like it, its a pain having to clean up all that stuff.

For now, I think I'm going to switch back to BIAB with the kettle. I have a Brewie on order which if it pans out to be what they say, it will be the best AIO on the market. The thing I like most about the AIO's is the ability to be precise with temps and everything, which enables you to easily duplicate a beer. The cleaning is another huge plus for me.

Everyone will have their own likes, and I like that this hobby allows us all to make and drink great beer.

I'm getting back into brewing after a 10 year hiatus. I know this is an older thread, but I get a ton of knowledge by reading the old and new posts in various threads...there's a lot of new equipment/methodology to consider. I like what I've been learning about the new tech (like AIO)/brew methods (like BIAB) for simplifying and shortening the brew day, but I also like DIY projects and am interested in the HERMS KAL clone setups. If I could swing it, I would like to have both AIO and HERMS KAL clone setups...as always, boils down to $$$.

I own a Braumeister, and love it! Can't fathom going back to igloo coolers, kettles and propane. I would probably stop brewing if my Braumeister broke, until I got another one.

And it fits nicely in the kitchen.

image.jpg

I have a grainfather, its the 2nd best purchase i've ever made. The 3 tier systems and possibly gas brewing will be more of a niche market like all new single vessel electric systems are now - on a small homebrew scale for new brewers over time IMO. Using a cooler and boil pot might hang in there but even with BIAB and a pulley system you don't need a mash tun.

I've been reading about homebrew for a lot time but i never got into all grain because it was too much work and money frankly - in the context of 3 vessel systems. I think single vessel electric systems and BIAB might spark a huge interest in craft brewing.

Of course i'm VERY bias. :)

Not sure if it is THE future, but certainly a part of the future of homebrewing. Really I think it boils down to different strokes for different folks. I will admit they look cool, but I don't really think they are for me.

Good points made by all. I've thought about working in a micro brewery to increase my brewing knowledge/skills, and did some reading about typical duties of a brew master in a micro brewery... Ha, huge percent of the work is cleaning and sanitizing (but they do get paid better than we do, and don't get the grief from the spouse for "stinking" up the place, spending money, taking up a bunch of room, etc. :D). That's where I see the appeal of AIO potentially bringing in the masses to homebrewing (if the prices come down anyway).

Guess I better contemplate the future while enjoying the aroma of brew day! :mug:

I know I have my eye on the Brewie. It looks like a very well designed machine. I have been tinkering for 13 years and while it has been fun and full of accomplishment, I am ready for simple.

I do not need to prove anything and would enjoy a much less involved brew day. But, I am coming to this point after trying everything under the sun. If one started with the Brewie it would be sort of a shame in a way. You can't replace firsthand knowledge. But to each his own.

I know I have my eye on the Brewie. It looks like a very well designed machine. I have been tinkering for 13 years and while it has been fun and full of accomplishment, I am ready for simple.

I do not need to prove anything and would enjoy a much less involved brew day. But, I am coming to this point after trying everything under the sun. If one started with the Brewie it would be sort of a shame in a way. You can't replace firsthand knowledge. But to each his own.

Go for it, no one who goes automatic thinks back and feels they miss working their but off on brew day, because they are already thinking of their next brew session. I've brewed a staggering amount of beer since getting the Braumeister, plenty of double brew sessions and I haven't felt worn out once.

It is the evolution of brewing.

Go for it, no one who goes automatic thinks back and feels they miss working their but off on brew day

Yep. Can't say I've had one iota of regret since getting a Grainfather. Still have my 10gal propane system. Can't think of a good reason to drag it out.

I've been brewing for 20+ years and well...I purchased an all-in-one. I had my own home-built system and sold it. Instead got one of these with the brew-boss and hops-boss.
https://brausupply.com/collections/...l-in-one-electric-brewery?variant=16274187653
Went from 10 Gal to 15+ Gal. My total footprint went from about 36 ft^2 down to a total of 4 ft^2. That's prime real estate here in the SF Bay Area! So far it is the bomb but it takes some getting used to. Doesn't sparge well with fresh water for example, but it will do everything I need it to do.

I've been brewing for 20+ years and well...I purchased an all-in-one. I had my own home-built system and sold it. Instead got one of these with the brew-boss and hops-boss.
https://brausupply.com/collections/...l-in-one-electric-brewery?variant=16274187653
Went from 10 Gal to 15+ Gal. My total footprint went from about 36 ft^2 down to a total of 4 ft^2. That's prime real estate here in the SF Bay Area! So far it is the bomb but it takes some getting used to. Doesn't sparge well with fresh water for example, but it will do everything I need it to do.

Wicked system.

All-in-ones are surely PART of the future of homebrewing. They will be the system of choice for many, and a good secondary system for yet others. I'm glad I have my Grainfather for those times when time and/or weather interfere with using my three vessel setup. I enjoy using the 3V rig more, though.

All-in-ones are surely PART of the future of homebrewing. They will be the system of choice for many, and a good secondary system for yet others. I'm glad I have my Grainfather for those times when time and/or weather interfere with using my three vessel setup. I enjoy using the 3V rig more, though.

my cobrewer and i are going to have both systems really.

we have a 2 vessel MT + keggle and hes building a HLT here shortly so itll be a 3 vessel.

But im also going to buy a grainfather at some point. I hate having to haul all the crap up my stairs down my stairs by myself if im doing a solo brew day. if hes helping then its not so much an issue.

also... winters suck. I want to make beer in the comfort of my house while watching tv or something. this is my hobby not my damn job. I dont need to behave as such on a brew day.

Awesome setup. I've been looking at one of these for quite a while. I'm probably going to get rid of my grainfather and my ssbrewtech conical and replace them with the 15g version of this. I'll keep my 3 vessel setup for my 5-6g batches. I'd love to see it in action on your next brew day and be an observer/helper.

Back